Air units supply on small islands

Will there be any provision in the new game to build airbases or ports on smaller islands, so that air units can be based there in some useful supply state? If not, what other provisions will be made such that air units will be able to base on islands without a port?

An engineer unit would be nice to have, to be able to build ports and airbases.

Thanks

Dgold,

Not a bad idea. Seems to me an engineer unit would be a good one to use for creating new ports and/or military bases, if one accounts for a reasonable amount of MPPs to expend in the process. Of course, depending on how far along in development Hubert and Co. is, it might have to wait for a future expansion to add at this point......what do you think Hubert?

:cool:

Yep, fine idea.

1) Temporary supply port might be needed at this global scale since, for one instance the GErmans could fortify the few cities/towns on the narrower north coast of France?

2) Engineers constructing OTHER things - > I've always been in favor of. The "major airport" being one.

I'd have it where the MAJOR airport would allow increased supply, so that the particular type could be more effective in combat. Given the "squeeze" due to the reduced scale, this MIGHT be useful here and now?

3) Wouldn't mind seeing the Engineer also able to build a "supply cache."

This would be a TEMPORARY sprite which would allow INCREASED (... supply, and maybe also morale) build-up in prep for an OFFENSIVE, say -> in or near Stalingrad, or in reverse, when the Russians are shoving back @ Kursk.

These could be added to the right-click drop-down menu?

**May be TOO micro for this Global, and I'd not argue that too vehemently.. but these additional Engineer-abilities would surely be welcome in any number of scenarious that might be spun off from this new game.

4) Not least, and one of Rambo's faves IIRC... Engineer could build bridges over the rivers. Again, MOST apropos WRT those large scale scenarios that will no doubt! Soon enough be forth coming.

Another past discussion eluded to the use of engineers in a capacity similar to SeaBees, providing HQ like supply and they would also need that Special Forces ability to conduct amphibious landings.

Perhaps the cost of the enginner unit should rise as appropriate to its additional abilities or cost MPPs for their selected mission.

Building Airports would obviously be for the Pacific or Russia. Allow an engineer to build one just like a fortification. Wait, lets call them "air strips", not airports. They only supply fighers, not bombers!

But do you really need them for Russia? Come on, the Germans have plenty of HQs and cities to us. In SC-2, the Stalingrad like situation doesn't happen where 250,000 dudes get destroyed in one city. You really need to simulate an airlift out?

You could have bombers drop supplies or something? Now that could be used in Russia. The bomber flies to a target and "drops" supplies to some unit in trouble, that's realistic. Would help in Africa too.

Far as bridges, everybody says I'm too tactical on this issue. Really? Everytime I watch the History Channel it was all about capturing Gerry's bridges over the Rhine. An entire Operation Marketgarden tried this, seems rather important. Put some bridges over the Rhine? We've also discussed Bridgehead supply too. Beach hexes makes sense too.