LAV and Stryker differences?

c3k

Originally posted by c3k:

Also, why no Bushmaster gun for the Army?

- Cost?

- It takes space inside the vehicle needed for the 9-man rifle squad?

- Current doctrine doesn't call for a 25 mm gun?

- Size and weight considerations for airmobility?

- It would lead to Strykers being used in a role they are not designed for?

- Inter-service rivalry: The Marines have this gun, which makes the army think they can do just fine with a HMG?

Just some guesses...

[snips]

As the title implies, I'm curious about the differences between the Stryker vehicle and the LAV.

The Stryker is an eight-wheeled armoured vehicle for carrying soldiers, whereas the LAV is an eight-wheeled armoured vehicle for carrying Marines. The Mowag Piranha, on the other hand, is an APC with eight wheels.

All the best,

John.

Is the difference in the number of dismounts able to be carried due to the Bushmaster weapon system, or is there a difference in chassis size?

Also, during some Google action I'm seeing all sorts of names being bandied about; Piranha, Bison, Stryker, et al. What are the differences?

Ken

Is the difference in the number of dismounts able to be carried due to the Bushmaster weapon system, or is there a difference in chassis size?

Also, during some Google action I'm seeing all sorts of names being bandied about; Piranha, Bison, Stryker, et al. What are the differences?

You may as well point your browser straight at the horse's mouth:

http://www.gdls.com/

This gives details of the sights and other gear in each of the different flavours of vehicle, of which there exists a bewildering variety. But they are all basically MOWAG Piranhas.

All the best,

John.

Any differences in armaments on the INTERIM vehicle is insignificant.

The point is, as far as command and control is concerned, STRIKER is a digital vehicle.

Along with LONGBOW, LAND WARRIOR, and whatever the artillery branch is cooking up, these vehicles are all part of a tactical network of systems. They're all intended to be "Digitally Compatible" on the modern battlefield.

Remember, STRIKER is only a stopgap.

Think of an infantry squad leader being able to point and click a fire-mission in the field, and you can see where Army Transformation is headed.

It's all about leveraging firepower down to the guy kicking in the door.

So how the heck are you guys going to simulate that anyway?

[ October 16, 2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Caseck ]

I've had occassion to drawn up scale plans for both and the differences are substantial! Stryker's MUCH bigger. Its got larger diameter road wheels. Its got a ceramic armor package that make's LAV's armor look like tissue paper by comparison. Its also a gas hog and tends to tip over in a sharp turn. And Stryker doesn't float. LAVs got the 25mm gun because it doesn't have the extra armor. Strker's got the extra armor because its not carrying the big gun turret. I believe they've both got a 40m turn radius (and the M1117 4x4 AC as well). I believe the stowage bins running along Strykers sides are plastic, in a desperate atttempt to shed excess pounds.