1.0.1 - Impressions and Suggestions

Shinji

Picked up the game yesterday and had a few observations and requests after playing with the latest 1.0.1 update.

First off, the game is a lot of fun! Congrats to the DEV team for a wonderful release. I am having a blast. I can't wait until we get some more people in the servers.

I did have a few observations/suggestions that I'd like to float:

I like the concept of turrets, but I think they need more teeth. They don't do much damage and are extremely fragile. If they were stronger in both firepower and armor, it would mean defensive emplacements would be more of something an attacking team would have to strategize for and deal with. As it is, they aren't much of a nuisance. Think WWII German 88s. Maybe sturdier looking turret models to go with them? And how about AT guided missle turrets?

Turrets, sensors, etc. should not count as "deaths" in the post game report. Could we have another column for these and one only for vehicle kill/deaths?

How about special icons on the small mini-map for turrets, sensors, and emplacements?

Can we have an icon for minefields on the tactical map so my teammates know where I placed them?

Underwater shooting - I know this has been brought up before, but the idea of shooting underwater seems "off". I don't mind driving in the water - I can buy the premise of airtight watersealed vehicles, but the weapons are still based on believable (real world) ballistic models. They currently defy the laws of physics when shooting underwater. Just my 2 cents.

When you bring in a supply dropship, can we have a special icon or designator on the dropship icon in the mini-map and tactical screen to let teammates know it is a supply mission?

When you successfully vote for a commander the message "Vote p---ed" comes up. I think the chat "bad language" filter is modifying it.

People on the fence about picking up the game should not hesitate. It really is incredibly fun. ClaytoniusRex and company will only keep improving it. I'm looking forward to seeing infantry and OGRE added in the future.

[ June 05, 2006, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Shinji ]

Originally posted by Shinji:

When you successfully vote for a commander the message "Vote p---ed" comes up. I think the chat "bad language" filter is modifying it.

I think that the bad language filter should probably not be filtering out "---" all the time :). Given that I tend to send messages like "Artillery assault in 30 secs on enemy flag" and "Enemy tanks massing south of base" both of which get butchered: "Enemy tanks m---ing south of base" is probably funnier than I intended.

And to those of you considering a purchase - go for it. This is already a great game. Given what can potentially be done with it, it should give years of play.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

Hi all! I just downloaded DropZone and I think it has a lot of potential. The gameplay is pretty good however, I've run into something.

In two different scenarios I played, when I called a DropShip in for resupply it couldn't land right. It bounced and landed on it's side.

Is this something that is going to be taken care of?

-Sho

Profanity.xml for the swear filter.

It'd be nice if the autoupdater didn't keep putting it back in - perhaps I can stick that in a clientside mod too.

Turrets drive me crazy. From an immersion point of view, they're horribly used - you've got some sort of small self contained package that shoots an unlimited amount of powerful shots with fully automated friend-or-foe identification, and you stick this on a crappy unistand in the middle of nowhere?! Come on!

The turrets, if they actually hit, seem to have near 'unlimited' armor penetration (10000 versus something like 240 for a HEAT round) but it apparently doesn't have the ability to overpenetrate through subsystems and has a surprisingly low fragmentation factor. The air version of the projectile moves quickly but with short range, the ground version has a longer range but it takes something like 16 seconds for the projectile to make the full flight, which is borderline comical. The other properties of each type of projectile appear to be the same. The lack of deviation in the shot means that a turret will shoot the same section of the tank over and over, possibly hitting only empty space and never actually killing the tank. Not having gravity effect the projectile makes it look really out of place in this game world.

Ground turrets are usually only a threat to very slow moving or unattentive heavy tanks, or people with connection problems. Maybe they're meant for attacking the OGRE.

As an engineer, considering the turret's penetration ability, I would be strapping these things onto the backs of 20mm and 76mm paladins. Since they're so self contained, it wouldn't seem like much of an issue for the host vehicle. If the slow shot movement really is necessary for the plasma to be stable somehow, then you may as well use it for some sort of close assault.

I don't think the current turrets are going to mesh well with future additions, like infantry. If the HE rounds (120mm and lower) ever actually get some fragmentation, those turrets are going to get shredded even faster. I can peg them on the move with AP rounds now - they're fairly large and obvious targets. I wouldn't mind seeing them with an armored front plate (or even a little 'fence'), provided they don't have that instant turnaround and HE shells could fragment around the rear and sides for damage. After all, they are deposited by the same ships that are moving thors around, some extra metal on them wouldn't hurt. All the collision triangles appear to of the front facing now, someone with the model knowhow would have to convert it so there was a difference between rear and front before you could do any of this.

I'm wondering if some sort of rapid fire inaccurate 'burst' turret wouldn't be a better idea for both ground and AA work, with possibly some very poor antiprojectile ability. Now that I can comfortably mod, I might go try some things so I can make more informed suggestions.

Now to find the 'gravity option'...

Game as whole is simply excellent. I am absolutely certain the very small problems that exist will get fixed.

I do agree Yurche's turret comments. They are the only things that feel really wrong. The ground ones especially. IFF is much easier for aircraft.

I have discovered a small exploit that may or may not be intentional. The mortar carriers can fire while attached to the resupply dropship. This allows them to essentially shell the whole map to death. Made very short work of the moon scenario in the Hopewell campaign that way. Ten long range heavy mortar rounds are bad for the other teams day, 30 or 40 of them and their is no other team. Multiple mortar carriers hooked in at the same time would be beyond devastating. And they get the Galaxy's point dense at the same time.

Originally posted by yurch:

I'm fairly sure the Galaxy only will reload one person at a time. I'm more annoyed when someone's hogging the ammo line the entire time.

That's another possible enhancement that I'd like to see:

When there are multiple vehicles in range of the Galaxy drop ship, the closest one should get the refill first. Once it is fully loaded up, the Galaxy should switch to refill the next nearest. Rinse and repeat until all the tanks in range are completely reloaded.

That would also help when trying to keep the bots ammo levels at something above 0.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

On archipeleago I had two apollos and called the Galaxy. One of the Apollos got a motor damage, the other had zero ammo. The Galaxy of course refilled the one with the motor damage and I was waiting for the Galaxy to switch to the other vehicle.

But it didn't - it just flew away when time was over and I had to push the damaged Apollo to the last turret! (no extraction in this mission)

Must have looked very stupid. smile.gif