Gateway Lock up

As a historian, I was very excited to hear about CM. A game such as this has been a long time coming! However, I have downloaded the demo, version 1.2, successfully, but the game (and computer) locks up after a few minutes. The sound is still playing and the mouse still works, but everything is unresponsive to input commands! The only thing I can do is reboot. Help!

My stats are:

Gateway

Pentium II 400mhz

128 mb of RAM

16mb Velocity 4400 3D card (with latest drivers)

DirectX 7

I should be abel to run it like a champ, but no go! Anybody got any ideas?

I have a similar set-up and had the same problem. I had to exit out of ALL background programs including my virus protection. If you have Microsoft Office there is a program I think called faststart that also hogs memory. I think this is all a memory problem. It also locked up with the new video drivers I got for my geforce board. I went back to the old drivers and new everything seems to work ok.

Guest Big Time Software

Kev,

1. Ensure you have the very latest drivers for your video card. The software that shipped with the card may not be the latest.

2. Upgrade to DirectX v7.0a if you haven't already.

3. Upgrade your mouse drivers to the latest version, especially if you have a Logitech or an Intellimouse.

Charles

Often times the large PC companies don't post the very latest drivers for their products (which are OEM'd from another company). Though I don't know which HP Pavilion you have these are some of the drivers that Charles suggested getting (instead of the default ones on HP's site, if there are any updates):

STB Velocity 4400:

http://www.stb.com/drivers/velocity/vl4400.html

Make note that they differentiate the models that have TV out. It may be backwards on their website ! There is also a BIOS update which looks like it primarily addresses the TV out capabilities and memory performance - v. 1.1.

Microsoft's Intellimouse 3.1a driver:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?Search=Product&LangIDCODE=20%3Ben-us&Value=304&OpSysID=9800&Show=Alpha

Logitech's Mouseware drivers 9.00 b99:

http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles_pc.cfm

You may also want to find out what audio chip/sound card you have in your Pavilion. Most likely it may be built into the motherboard. Updating this driver may also help since some audio drivers are quite CPU-intensive.

Guest Steve Makarow

I have a Gateway Solo 9300 (PIII-650, 128 RAM, ATI Rage Mobility-P 8MB graphics card) and I've got the same problem with the Gold Demo.

I know that I have the latest drivers and Direct X 7a.

The demo locks up after a few minutes of play, requiring a reboot. Same situation: sound plays, mouse cursor moves, but everything else is locked and I have to reboot.

I really want to buy the full version of CM, put not if it won't play on my system.

Any suggestions?

It's not just Gateways. I've been having the same problem; game hangs, mouse still works, requires a reboot and I don't have a Gateway.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Check the thread CRLDS3D.VXD? for details. My machine is a AMD K6-2 500 with 64 M RAM, a VOODOO 3 2000, AOpen AW724 sound card, and a logitech mouse. All the drivers are now up-to-date and I'm running DirectX7.0a. If there's any possible solution PLEASE let me know.

Also it SEEMS that running it at 640x480 lets me play longer.

Cardinal Fang

No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Guest Steve Makarow

I've checked the board and quite a few people are having the same lock ups. If this many people, with different systems are experiencing these lock ups, then it sounds like a patch-fix is needed.

Has anyone read any responses from BTS on this problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Historical_Kev:

the game (and computer) locks up after a few minutes. The sound is still playing and the mouse still works, but everything is unresponsive to input commands! The only thing I can do is reboot. Help!

My stats are:

Gateway

Pentium II 400mhz

128 mb of RAM

16mb Velocity 4400 3D card (with latest drivers)

DirectX 7

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had a similar problem with my STB 4400, even running the latest drivers. Switching to the nVidia TNT reference drivers cleared everything up. Hopefully it will do the trick for you, to!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Historical_Kev:

Nice to see that I'm not the only one with these issues! You recommend switching to the nVidia TNT Refrence drivers; Where might I get a copy? Do you have a link?

Thanks for the assist!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe this is the location for the drivers you are requesting.

http://www.nvidia.com/Products/OpenDrvDwn.nsf/50e539029dad4459882568c9007fdaf6/89be037d4c1ec2eb882568f0006d15e5?OpenDocument

Hope it helps.