I'm sold

Well, I've been putting off the purchase of CMBB for quite some time now for a variety of reasons namely:

1) Was afraid my Mac g4/400 with standard video card would barely be able to handle it.

2) Never really been "into" the Eastern Front - don't know half as much about it as the Western Front, and the sound of large, armor-intensive battles didn't appeal to me much.

3) I heard the stories about infantry moving 20 yards and becoming exhausted, etc - it just didn't sound worth the effort to make the switch.

However, yesterday I was bored and downloaded the CMBB demo just to see what I thought - and now I'm sold. I still prefer the Western Front, but the game engine is so much better for CMBB that I'm going to make the switch and probably not look back to CMBB until its game engine is updated. I was afraid this would happen, and now its a reality!

What sold me:

Other than the fact that the game runs much better than expected on my machine, the #1 thing that sold me on this game was the enhanced fog of war.

I am extrememly impressed with the way that units are incredibly hard to identify, even when only 50 meters away! I love seeing scattered small arms fire coming from a location, but not being able to see specific units until I actually close in on the position 10 turns later.

Yeah, micromanaging the Russians (my side of choice) and dealing with their inferior equipment will actually be a challenge I will enjoy rising to. Come 2003 - I'll be PBEMing so be prepared!

For those of you currently playing CMBB - would you agree that one turn of CMBB (of relative equal size) takes about twice as long as one CMBO turn? IT seems a lot more micromanagement is involved.

Just wait until you play a scenario with 8 Tigers rumbling across the steppes and sighting some far off targets, and the fire and smoke belching from their guns as they open up. You might have a different opinion of Eastern Front tank warfare. It is an awesome sight.

Originally posted by Spacewrangler:

For those of you currently playing CMBB - would you agree that one turn of CMBB (of relative equal size) takes about twice as long as one CMBO turn? IT seems a lot more micromanagement is involved.

You mean the order plotting phase?

It is not much slower for me because you don't have to plot 200 waypoints for each unit in case you want to reuse next order phase.

You don't get as much done in the action phase compared to CMBO due to infantry exhausting faster and getting easily supressed. It's no question that CMBO was less realistic in this respect. In addition, the bogging probablity is sometimes excessive if you haven't been able to get vehicles not prone to bogging, that slows down too. The slow artillery spotters do more to delay advances.

I'd say you should need 30-45% more turns for the same mission than in CMBO, and that is CMBO played non-gamey as in just overrunning everything with SMG squads.

And to think CMBB has been knocked for its 'mediocre' demo!

Not interested in the Eastern Front? The Eastern front may be T34s vs PzIVs... but its also Lend-Lease Matildas and Churchill IIIs versus Czech light tanks, Early Panthers vs KV-85s, Italian tankettes vs BT fast tanks, and everybody's favorite - SturmTigers vs conscript Partisan fighters in trenches!

You're in for a treat with the full game.

Ah, just a thought. Check which version you're going to get on the CD. I don't know if they've got the v1.02 patch burned to disk or not. You might have to do a little downloading.

[ December 17, 2002, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I was much the same at first, thinking that as I didn't know as much about the Eastern front I probably wouldn't enjoy the game as much as CMBO. Boy, was I wrong!

Since before I got the game I started reading a fair bit about it all and I think there is a certain terrible romantisism about the Eastern front,It's difficult to read accounts of Stalingrad, for example, without thinking something of the bravery of ordinary men an woman living and fighting in conditions that can truly be called horrific.

For me, I have gained more and more respect for those who fought and died in this war since buying the game. I even have a better understanding of the war in this theatre since buying it, and I thinks thats something pretty special for a computer game.

The actually think the infantry can be more effective because of the additional commands. I am falling in love with the Advance and Assault commands. It makes the infantry much more effective approaching an enemy at close ranges because they pump out some serious fire during their approach. And if you think the enemy is close to breaking, you can plot you advance or assault well behind the enemy and watch with glee as your unit chases down the panicked foe, guns ablaze and lobbing grenades the whole time. Now that’s what I call fun!

Although we aren't making any widespread announcements about it, just today we did update the demo (Mac and Windows versions) to reflect the changes put into v1.01.

Most notably fixed would be the old crash bug which could occur when clicking on bailed out crews.

Madmatt