?? for KrawzyDog

I think you and Gordon are on the top of my "best modders list", there are some real good modders but you guys are the masters(in my opinion), What I was going to ask you was if you have any plans of putting out a modding tutorial. Gordon put out a "Mud Tutorial" and I use it a lot. Your "panther Pack" is excellent, so i was wondering if you plan to share some of that modding "expertise" with the rest of us modders. If you did, it and Gordon's "Mud Tutorial" would be my modding bible.

Hi tracer!

Hehe, glad you like the Panthers smile.gif I currently have my hands full preparing for the next patch plus more, but I wrote the below some time back and it may give you some ideas to work with. Down the track I would certianally like to add more, providing time allows me to do so (finger crossed!).

So, how do we convert a basic plastic model to a CM texture with camo, weathering, etc?

Well, what Im going to do is to quickly run you guys through the process Ill be using to take a basic model and turn it into a final product. Now its getting on for midnight here so forgive me if the colour is off or if it all looks a more than a little rushed smile.gif

First, below is a shot of the original image that I will be working with. It is a side turret off of a model that Michael sent in to us (thanks again Michael) and it will be a good help for the entire Pz-III series.

Origional.jpg

Now, for a start lets pretend that we want to make a post '42 model, which generally should be yellow with a basic camo scheme over it (though this wasnt as common on the Pz-III's as the Pz-IV's). The first thing we need to do is to colour the side turret to the basic yellow colour we are after. This is a reasonably simple process and required me to increase the yellow and red in the model whilst reducing its saturation some. Below is the coloured turret (which alone would be fine for a Pz-III model in 42, as it wasn't uncommon for the colour not to be applied)

Coloured.jpg

Now, lets add a little camo. What I did next was to add a new layer in Photoshop but I changed its type to multiply, which multiplies the colour with the original image (and thus I dont loose the original detail). After painting my model using suitable colours (green and brown for the Germans) I then applied a few filters to give us a faded and weathered effect to the paint. Often the camo paint used was not of good quality, and if you look at photos you will often find that it is applied rather thinly. Generally petrol was supposed to be used to thin the origional thick paste supplied before it was applied to the tank, but often water was used as fuel became rarer, and the quality of the paint suffered.

After applying the camo I then added what is commonly known as a grunge map on top of the texture. What this did was to give the overall impressed of dust and grime, as well as adding some of the water streaks you can see down the side of the model.

Next, I have used the clone tool to remove the shiny spot near the front of the turret. Also Ive added a few chips to the paint around the hatches. Here is the final result!

Final.jpg

Now bear in mind guys that this was very rushed, but it should give you a good idea of the process we will use when working with models we receive.

Also note that the above took me about 15 minutes as opposed to 2 or 3 hours if we had no original texture to work from. So guys, if you have any friends out there that are modellers, make sure you remind them about our competition! smile.gif

Hope this was of interest guys!

Dan

[ November 26, 2002, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

KwazyDog certainly has a nice mini-tutorial posted here, but I thought I'd take his techniques and apply them "at the next level." I'll be using Paintshop PRO, since the "PRO" suggests that I'm a profressional, and not Adobe Photoshop since our goal here is to make mods, not pdf files.

First, we'll start with the model that I submitted to BTS which they foolishly rejected as being "far and above the standards which we are looking for." Apparently they did not want me to embarrass the other modelers.

tut1.jpg

Now, the color needs some work so I adjusted it with some sliders-things under the "colors" menu.

tut2.jpg

Now, I need to add a little bit of camo:

tut3.jpg

And a filter to give it a "weathered" look. Of course, I used a meta-merged multiply-vector layer here ... duh:

tut4.jpg

And here's the final product. Also, a sneak preview of my plaque doodad:

tut5.jpg

[ November 28, 2002, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: murpes ]