??120mm Onboard mortars in CMBB??

I am sure that I am not the first person who wanted to see them in the game, but I havnt heard anything one way or another. I know the Germans loved them, and used them heavily.

We can find artillery pieces that are included in CMBB for those rare circumstances. Why not include 120mm Mortars onboard? The 3" mortar is bad enough, think of 3 times the firepower! Please BTS? smile.gif

Chad

BTW, were the 120mm mortars ever mounted in a german halftrack?

I'm not sure I understand what is the benefit of portraying the 120mm mortars on-map. They were historically set up well behind the lines and they had something of a dead zone that would leave them unable to engage in small scenarios.

As to mounted 120's, they have quite a recoil and I don't believe anyone tried mounting them until the Israelis experimented with putting them into old Shermans, finally using the technique to mount 160mm mortars. Halftracks probably couldn't take the recoil as their frame is pretty flimsy, though some one may have tried this at one time or another.

The US now mounts the 120 on a modified M-113 full track APC but this has sturdy, thick-walled aluminum construction.

I might be wrong, but mortars probably don't have more than a few km range, so on the 9km battlefields we're promised in CM:BB, they aren't going to reach, unless they're on map, and hence attackable (sorry for such a horrendous word, but it covered what I wanted to say).

Personally, I like the extra challange of using on map support, especially in a mechanised assault.

Interesting comment! This is something I have never thought about before.

Large maps are indeed partially out of mortar range, and already in CM:BO!

The British 3inch has a range of 2500m, the 4.2ich of 3750m

The German 81mm = 2400m, 120mm ~6000m, the 28cm and 32cm Nebelwerfer = 2100m

The Russian 82mm = 3100m, 107mm = 6300, 120mm 6000m

The US 81mm = 3000m

But I can always cover the complete map with artillery, even on a map of 4800m length. If this isn't changed in CM:BB it will get really funny on a 9km map.

Was that really 9 x 9 km?! It the map looked big for sure but I guess I didn't quite grasp how big...

Any word on the maximum number of turns?

Coming to think of it, is there any technical reason to fix an upper number, or is it purely based on what is perceived to be the maximum time one can stand to play a single CM scenario?

M.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I might be wrong, but mortars probably don't have more than a few km range, so on the 9km battlefields we're promised in CM:BB, they aren't going to reach, unless they're on map, and hence attackable (sorry for such a horrendous word, but it covered what I wanted to say).

Personally, I like the extra challange of using on map support, especially in a mechanised assault.

The max map size is going to be nine *square* km, so 3km x 3km. I think the max range of the 120mm mortar was around 6000m. Leaving it off map won't be a problem.

On the othe hand, I believe the Sovs may have used "line of sight" mortar fire even for the 120s, if they didn't have wire laid or radios issued. Maybe not.

-dale