American Tank Ace SSG Lafayette Poole

Achtung!! Achtung!! Achtung!!

Tank attack in Munsterbusch, Germany!! The American tank ace SSG Lafayette Pool is about to return to the United States. This is his last engagement in Europe before being sent home.

Can you keep him alive to go home and do a war bond tour? The 3rd Armored Division has been fighting the 9th Panzer Division for nine days now. Can you finally breakthrough their lines just to the east of Aachen?

This is the first of 3 scenarios in the 3rd Armored Division series dealing with the tank ace SSG Lafayette Poole. In 81 days, the SSG and his crew, destroyed over 258 German vehicles, killed over 1,000 enemy soldiers, and captured more than 250 more enemy soldiers.

Are you good enough to be an American tank ace? While fighting in a Sherman tank?

I guess we are about to find out aren't we?!

This scenario is being playtested at The Proving Grounds right now. Join up and tell me what you think of it. We need a few good playtesters...

http://the-proving-grounds.com/index.html

Good Hunting.

Panther Commander, sorry that I can not respond with the offer to playtest right now, but hopefully you can share some info with me.

A while ago I asked here on the forum about Lafayette Poole and how to 'read' his kill number of 258 German vehicles. Nobody here had any info about it back then. Did you come along some information of what kind of vehicles were all considered kills during your research for the scenario??

Tanks? APCs? Trucks? Jeeps? Motorcycles? Bikes? Where did the American system stopped counting?

Hopefully you can help me out a little.

But anyways, good luck and lots of fun with your scenario!

Uwe

Originally posted by Reichenberg:

Panther Commander, sorry that I can not respond with the offer to playtest right now, but hopefully you can share some info with me.

A while ago I asked here on the forum about Lafayette Poole and how to 'read' his kill number of 258 German vehicles. Nobody here had any info about it back then. Did you come along some information of what kind of vehicles were all considered kills during your research for the scenario??

Tanks? APCs? Trucks? Jeeps? Motorcycles? Bikes? Where did the American system stopped counting?

Uwe

No, I did not find a breakdown. I am a few hours away from Fort Hood though and I'm thinking that they may have more information on him than I currently have.

The Americans are touting him as the Greatest Tank Ace of the war. Saying he was better even than Wittmann. I can see the reasoning behind it. Knocking out 258 vehicles in 81 days in a Sherman is pretty impressive.

The one thing that I did come up with, are quite a few action reports, that include his fighting Panther tanks. Seems he made a career out of knocking out Panthers. Even though he was in a 76mm armed Sherman that is a recipe for disaster.

The story of his last action which the scenario is based on, is a bit confusing. It mentions a heavy AT gun but never says who hits the Sherman. In another article it flatly states that it was a Panther that got the Sherman. Either way his record is impressive.

Sorry I didn't have more than that. Hope it helps. If I find more I'll bring it to the forum.

"In his final battle SSG Pool was blow from the turret of his tank and his right leg was shattered and had to be removed."

Apparently he wasn't good enough to finish the mission either. So don't feel bad if you can't! Not to take anything away from this incredible warrior; battle outcomes are based on more than just skill. I'm just quoting his write up from the 3rd AD's website. Below is what else it had to say about this bad ass.

"He was discharged from the Army in June of 1946. He was recalled to active duty in 1948 to serve as an instructor with 3d Armored Division at Fort Knox, Kentucky. He retired from the Army on September 19, 1960 as a Chief Warrant Officer 2d Class. His military decorations included Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, French Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star, Belgium Fourragere. Lafayette Pool passed away in his sleep on May 30, 1991."

Head

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Reichenberg:

Uwe

No, I did not find a breakdown. I am a few hours away from Fort Hood though and I'm thinking that they may have more information on him than I currently have.

The Americans are touting him as the Greatest Tank Ace of the war. Saying he was better even than Wittmann. I can see the reasoning behind it. Knocking out 258 vehicles in 81 days in a Sherman is pretty impressive.

The one thing that I did come up with, are quite a few action reports, that include his fighting Panther tanks. Seems he made a career out of knocking out Panthers. Even though he was in a 76mm armed Sherman that is a recipe for disaster.

The story of his last action which the scenario is based on, is a bit confusing. It mentions a heavy AT gun but never says who hits the Sherman. In another article it flatly states that it was a Panther that got the Sherman. Either way his record is impressive.

Sorry I didn't have more than that. Hope it helps. If I find more I'll bring it to the forum.

</font>

Originally posted by Head Mahone:

"In his final battle SSG Pool was blow from the turret of his tank and his right leg was shattered and had to be removed."

Apparently he wasn't good enough to finish the mission either. So don't feel bad if you can't! Not to take anything away from this incredible warrior; battle outcomes are based on more than just skill. I'm just quoting his write up from the 3rd AD's website. Below is what else it had to say about this bad ass.

"He was discharged from the Army in June of 1946. He was recalled to active duty in 1948 to serve as an instructor with 3d Armored Division at Fort Knox, Kentucky. He retired from the Army on September 19, 1960 as a Chief Warrant Officer 2d Class. His military decorations included Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, French Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star, Belgium Fourragere. Lafayette Pool passed away in his sleep on May 30, 1991."

Head

I didn't have more than that about the breakdown of his record. I have reams of data about the man himself and his accomplishments. I find it interesting that the breakdown of his record is so hard to come by.

He was an interesting man and tough as a boot.

He and his tank crew were set to rotate back to the States on a war bond drive within days of the scenario. In fact as the briefing says his normal loader was having his hearing tested that day and they had a replacement in the tank.

"Fighting from three different Sherman tanks, Pool and his crew knocked out no less than 12 German tanks, most of which were theoretically superior to the Shermans in terms of armor and firepower"

This from 3ad.com

"At Namur, Belgium, "In The Mood's" crew destroyed sixteen enemy vehicles, including assault guns, self propelled anti-tank guns, plus several armored personnel carriers in one day"

The second excerpt comes from 3ad.org

Originally posted by Head Mahone:

Panther,

This scenario is being designed for CMAK right? I know there is one based on SSG Lafayette Pool last battle already for CMBB.

Thanks,

Head

:confused:

Yes, this scenario is designed for CMAK. Why would there be one designed for CMBB? You must mean CMBO. In which case I won't get to see it :( since I gave my copy away to a friend to get him started playing CM. :D

• 9 years later...