blitzkrieg operation

Also, events can turn on a dime. If you replay the same scenario trying to do all the same as before, but this time your AT gun gets knocked out inside the first three turns. The result -- your forces are routed!

Even if replaying the same scenario, some games are more thrilling than others to get through.

Hah! I attacked in that thing. Didn't even give the Ruskies any bonus. After the last battle I was pretty convinced I had done real well, only to find out that I actually suffered a major defeat. You cannot afford to lose a lot of units when playing Germans in this OP, and you better make sure you get to the other edge of the map pronto. Something those Soviets just don't allow. :mad:

The secret to winning as the Soviets is arcs of fire. Keep your big AT guns hidden until the last possible moment, then open them up in pairs. Make sure they are targeting the heavier Panzers (1Vs). Yes, they will get knocked out, thanks to borg spotting, but you should aim to win in the exchange. AT rifles, on the other hand, are brilliant. They will take out IIIs and armoured cars and can remain hidden. Ampulomets are also damned good - even Maxims against PSWs or IIIs can force windy crews to abandon a perfectly good AFV. You also get a KV in this scenario and , if you keep it fairly static and hull down, you will halt the attack unless the AI is playing.

On the German side - recon and more recon. This isn't Blitzkrieg, but a simple advance. If you want to make it blitzkrieg, change the reinforcements on Turn 2 to include at least five Stukas and three more Arty spotters. That combination is what makes it the true German concept of blitskrieg - by the time the tanks roll, the enemy is already demoralised and shattered.

The Soviet answer to this, shown in 43 onwards, was the pakfront -lots of AT guns, interlocked and overlapping fields of fire, wire, minefields and AT ditches (sadly, not a feature of the game).

I have played this in a dozen different forms and enjoyed it immensely.

Unlike the Stalingrad scenario which is only workable if you reduce the scenery and stagger the units as reinforcements.

Bolo