Cavalry, Mountain, Security, a query...

Just wondering what type of scenario you be likely to find these units in and against what type of oppisition.

Mountain troops up mountains fightiing simialar units i can see, what did the security units get up to?

Luftwaffe infantry, where these guys just luftwaffe personnel that made went into making up battalions in order to replace infantry losses. What type of actions would they have been involved in?

looking forward to your replies....

security units would probably fight partisans... although if memory serves one 'ss police division' served near leningrad in '41... and got its butt kicked... again if memory serves...

luftwaffe ground troops would probably fight in 'normal' infantry situations, and yes mountain troops would often serve in mountains... like the carpathians early on or the caucasus in '42... a number of german and romanian mountain divisions served around the black sea/sea of aszov coasts including the areas around sevastopol in '41-'42...

of course this is all if memory serves...

I have read that Navy units were used for infantery in the last months of the war, lets say march-mai 1945.

Even U-boat personal who never used a pistol/gun in the whole war, was forced into infantery service.

I dont know about Luftwaffe units, was it the same like the Navy units or were the Luftwaffe normal infantery units during the whole WW II ??

Monty

The Luftwaffe Field Divisions were not just a late war expiedient to round up ground crew who had no flyable planes to tend to. Note they show as selectable in June '41 for the southern sector of Barbarossa in CMBB.

They were often lamented by the army, who felt they got the pick of men and equipment but were poorly trained and tended to dissolve quickly under pressure.

[ January 01, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Luftwaffe troops played a pretty big role as line infantry during Army Group South's retreat, which I believe was maybe just after 6th Army surrendered at Stalingrad. Many FlaK units were converted and thrown into the mix to prevent AG South from being cut-off.

The scenario to play here is "Lonely Country". I'd advise if you play Germans against the AI to give the AI a hefty bonus.