Andreas - more please

In a my annual attack of CM fever, I'm playing single player CMBB, but I've finished all of Andreas's scenarios :mad:

Andreas - please make some more. It seems a while since you have (?) and they are always excellent. The scale, restraint and logic of your small-medium ones is sorely missed.

Alright, I'll look forward to them.

Yesterday I finished Small Assault, which means I've worked my way down the DK CMBB list. I got a total victory, but I figure that scenario is more about minimising casualties and ammo management than not losing. Overall it played very realistically, as usual.

Andreas,

Actually I meant to say "all of them", bad typing above. Der Kessel scenarios for me anyway seem to play out more consistently like RL than anything else out there. I will single out three brilliant maps.

1. 20 km to Targul Frumos

This is an outstanding map as it depicts rolling steppe terrain better than anything I have come across in CM. I have not been to the actual battlefield but I travel to Moldova from time to time, and the ground as depicted in the scenario looks uncannily real. Big rises and inbetween them little rises, some woods, so both German cats and Soviet 34s have a chance to take adantage of the ground.

Fighting the scenario made me appreciate better than anything I have seen so far how mobile tank fighting worked. This is, as the designer clearly understood, a function not just of the map, but the density of AT systems on the map.

The designer Steve von Niemack deserves extra points for avoiding the boring easy way out in a scenario where the Germans have heavy armor, and just making a big huge hill with the Germans to set up on, and the Russians to assault. Not only unrealistic, but boring.

Mind you, the scenario gives the German plenty of 1000 m.+ plus shots on the Soviets. I played Soviets and beat the A/I handily enough, but against a human that battle would have been an incredible fight.

2. Breaking Point

I travel to Ukraine's Carpathian mountain region regularly and the map for this scenario is uncannily accurate. On view level "1", what with the fog and the evergreens, it is almost scary how much my computer screen looks like the real thing.

I remember looking at a hardwood-covered hill my T-34s were working past and thinking "you know, for sure there are foot paths in there, as there are always mushrooms in forests like that and the Ukrainians are nuts for picking mushrooms."

That of course got me to wondering where the people were in the villages I was trashing, as they were laid out logically, compact, and neatly, just like real-life Carpathian villages. (Of the day, anyway.)

With the fog turned on and given the restricted LOS, my suspension of disbelief was one of the highest ever I have experienced in a CM game. Admittedly this in part was because I happen to have a pretty good idea of what the Carpathians actually look like, but far more importantly it was because the map was designed right.

BTW I won the scenario without too much difficulty but the A/I shot my infantry to ribbons. The scenario default deployment is outstanding.

3. Okhvat Station and Tank Attack at Okhvat

Yep, that's what wide open east Ukraine looks like. It swallows up regiments never mind battalions, and keyholing - the bane of high-point meeting battles on tiny maps - is not only impossible but silly in RL Ukraine black earth land. Long range weapons are effective not because of slots, but because they can hit you from potentially anywhere.

The railroad is an important terrain feature just like in real life, and the woods cover big chunks of ground, rather than the 200 x 200 patches that never show up in real Ukraine, but show up all the time in scenarios. The village is laid out logically and it looks like people live there.

Just like in real life, you kind of feel sorry for any one confronted with the Ukrainian steppe, who has to walk on it.

I'm still playing these scenarios through so I don't have any battle comments.

Hey, the Okhvat scenaros are mine! So glad that someone likes them. I also feel that only scenarios like these truly convey the vastness of terrain on the Eastern Front, and what force density (or more specifically, the lack thereof) was truly like.

Thanks for your comments,

Cory