can't download files from Depot (w/Mac)

Hello. This may have been answered recently but I could not find any reference to a solution.

gibsonm wrote in the thread at the top of the scenario forum . . .

"Well its definitely not a “Mac Friendly” site anymore.

Can’t download using either Internet Explorer or Safari (clicking on the link only results in a page of code). I’ve also tried “right“ clicking but to no effect.

I suspect its because the “download” button isn’t a direct link to the file but to an intermediate location."

This is my issue, as well.

Any solutions?

Thanks,

Gpig

Best way around it [on a mac], is to right click (option-click) on the Download button, "Download Link to Disk" (assuming you're using IE) and rename the "click.php" to whatever the battles name is plus the .cmg suffix for battles, .cmh for operations. For example, this battle would be named Worthington Force.cmg upon saving to disk.

• 2 months later...

I just downloaded a bunch of maps and battled from this site and tried renaming them the way UXcva mentioned and it still did not work for either maps or battles. I did put them in the right folders and using the right file ending. I downloaded them while clicking on them holding the option key and saved the link to disk. What gives?

Hmmm. That's odd. It worked for me.

You download the link to disk and then it allows you to rename the file, right? That's when you enter the new name (the name of the battle/op/map) overwriting the old "click.php" name.

And make sure you're adding the proper ending (.cme/.cmg/.cmh or whatever.)

You are renaming the files *as* you are downloading them, one at a time. Correct? You cannot download them all and *then* try to rename them. That won't work for you.

THe only thing left might be that *some* battles are .zip'd or stuffed, and they DO NOT need to be renamed when downloaded. (But you will have to unzip/stuff them.)

Good luck, spitfire.

Gpig

Yeah I option clicked the download button and the menu came up. I selected save link to disk and another box came up asking me where I wanted to save it and under what name 'click.php' was the default which I changed to the battle name and then added the correct ending. I saved them to the desktop and after download I moved them into the battle folder. I start the game up and the battle is not listed there.

Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

[snip]..... I moved them into the battle folder. I start the game up and the battle is not listed there.

You mention "the battle folder". Battles and operations go into the Scenarios folder. That might be the problem(?). I would suggest keeping the maps in the Quick Battle Maps folder.

[ May 16, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: _UXcva ]

Sorry about the confusion, I did add them into the Scenarios folder where all the other battles are listed. Same with the maps. I put those into the QBM folder. Does the icon of the file change once you have renamed the files? Even after after I have saved the link to disk and renamed it with the appropriate ending the file icon still shows up as a Internet Explorer related icon.

Hmmm . . . stumped.

What about version number?

Are you fully patched up with the latest version? (although the scenarios should still show up in your list of battles, even if they are an old version.)

Hmmm . . . Time for my "this may sound silly, but . . ." questions. (Sorry about this.) smile.gif

You are downloading the correct battles for the correct game, correct? CMAK battles for the CMAK game. CMBB battles for the CMBB game, etc.

You are attempting to do this with a Macintosh computer, correct?

Not sure what the problem might be, after that. Sorry. Keep trying. Double and triple check. Re-read the posts. Write a list and try and find what's catching you up.

Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

Gpig

Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

Does the icon of the file change once you have renamed the files? Even after after I have saved the link to disk and renamed it with the appropriate ending the file icon still shows up as a Internet Explorer related icon.

When I save a battle/op the way I described earlier its saved automatically as a SimpleText file. If a battle is saved as a IE text file they don't work in-game I've found. Its something to do the IE prefs or file exchange prefs I believe.

If I discover anything further related to this I'll let you know. {I'm using IE:Mac 5.1.7, OS 9.2.2 btw}

[ May 17, 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: _UXcva ]

Huh. I tried it last night and now it doesn't work for me.

You broke it, spitfirexi!!!! :(

;)

Oh well. Guess I'll have to get another browser. Or get all my scenarios from TheProvingGrounds.

Later,

Gpig

It would seem to be related to the "Internet Preferences" file found in System Folder>Preferences. I moved my internet prefs file (which effects other prefs like IE also) to the desktop so the system would create a new one. It resulted in the same problem Spitfire is having. Replacing the new one with the prefs file I had moved to the desktop returned things to normal.