Check list for getting CM2 to run

Erwin

Thought it might be helpful to list all suggestions here so there is a checklist anyone can go through when they encounter problems trying to get CM2 to run on Win 10 machines.  It's probably something helpful that Tech Support should have ready to give out to all.  Or, have it as a sticky.

1)  Try to "Run as Administrator".

2)  Check what graphics card is being used:

"Open up nVidia control panel.  You will have to go to the 3D settings and you can set default GPU from the drop down.  If you only have the nVidia GPU, you won't see any other option.  That means you can eliminate this as an issue.  When I get a new laptop, its the process I have to go through every time.  It has nothing to do with Win10.  If you feel brave, can create a custom profile for each application or game and choose the GPU for each.  For some reason, the CM games always default to the Intel GPU that is part of the Intel chipset.  

If you have a laptop,  you most likely have both GPUs.  If its a desktop, its depends on how the system was built.  You can also google how to set your default chipset."

3)  The problem may be Windows Defender.  Try disabling it.  You can temporarily disable it with these instructions.  

Choose Option One: To Turn Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows Security

• Option Two: To Turn On Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows Security
  • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in PowerShell
  • Option Four: To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Command Prompt
  • Option Five: To Enable or Disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Group Policy
  • Option Six: To Enable or Disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection using a REG file

4)  If that doesn't work, try loading a 3rd party security like AVG or AVAST (they are now made by the same company).  This will automatically disable Win Defender.

5)  Check Task manager to see what if anything is running.

6)  Try Microsoft's Process Explorer which can give you a few more details than Task Manager can about what is running on your system. When you extract this program (it doesn't do an 'install') run the 'procexp64.exe' and that will bring up the Process Explorer. With this you can launch it (instead of Task Manager) and then before launching CMFB, go to File > Save as and type a new name for the text file that will be saved. This will default to Process Explorer's directory and you can copy and paste that text up here and we can examine it for what may be running.

6)  ?

Edited by Erwin

Number 2 should really only apply to laptops. With a desktop, the user has a choice of which plug he uses for his monitor: the built-in graphics card (if any) or the discrete add-in card (which is much preferable).

Gaming on a laptop is fraught with many more complications than a desktop. Most (all?) laptops are shipped with many pre-installed oem software programs. These programs may cause issues.

Ok...  I usually use desktops, but have a couple of gaming laptops in other locations to save me lugging the dam heavy things around.  Am prety sure the guys who built it told me where to plug in the monitor.  (I think the built-in if there is one is not even accessible.)

Edited by Erwin

6 hours ago, c3k said:

Gaming on a laptop is fraught with many more complications than a desktop. Most (all?) laptops are shipped with many pre-installed oem software programs. These programs may cause issues.

Not really true.  If buy your desktop retail, you are as likely to get all that stuff loaded on as well.  My son just bought a Dell desktop and had to do the usual uninstalls.  My new gigabyte laptop had nothing except windows and the overclocking tool.

16 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Not really true.  If buy your desktop retail, you are as likely to get all that stuff loaded on as well.  My son just bought a Dell desktop and had to do the usual uninstalls.  My new gigabyte laptop had nothing except windows and the overclocking tool.

Ah. I have not bought a retail desktop since...1989? Been building my own since then, so their practices are something I totally forgot about. Thanks.

There are good tutorials on stripping out bloatware. (You can always make a backup/clone of your OS drive and just restore it all if you don't like the results.)

Why would I need a tutorial on uninstalling "bloatware"?

Also, both of my sons have built desktops recently and both had intel GPU chipsets on their MSI motherboards.  The motherboards had video plugs built into the I/O shields that connected to the HDMI port.  They also had GFX/RTX GPUs in the PCI slots with their own HDMI, etc. connectors.  The main difference from a laptop is the HDMI connectors are dedicated to each separate GPU.  

Edited by Thewood1

19 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Why would I need a tutorial on uninstalling "bloatware"?

Also, both of my sons have built desktops recently and both had intel GPU chipsets on their MSI motherboards.  The motherboards had video plugs built into the I/O shields that connected to the HDMI port.  They also had GFX/RTX GPUs in the PCI slots with their own HDMI, etc. connectors.  The main difference from a laptop is the HDMI connectors are dedicated to each separate GPU.  

Maybe, just maybe, the bold wasn't written for you?

OK, so you are replying to two people in your post.  How was I supposed to separate that?

"Ah. I have not bought a retail desktop since...1989? Been building my own since then, so their practices are something I totally forgot about. Thanks"  

So that was for me.  But the first line wasn't.  Not clear to me, but must be missing something.

Check the "Controlled folder access".

To navigate to it, simply type defender into the search bar, click windows security, scroll down to ransomware protection, click manage ransomware protection, then disable controlled folder access. 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, Erwin said:

Thought it might be helpful to list all suggestions here so there is a checklist anyone can go through when they encounter problems trying to get CM2 to run on Win 10 machines.  It's probably something helpful that Tech Support should have ready to give out to all.  Or, have it as a sticky.

1)  Try to "Run as Administrator".

2)  Check what graphics card is being used:

"Open up nVidia control panel.  You will have to go to the 3D settings and you can set default GPU from the drop down.  If you only have the nVidia GPU, you won't see any other option.  That means you can eliminate this as an issue.  When I get a new laptop, its the process I have to go through every time.  It has nothing to do with Win10.  If you feel brave, can create a custom profile for each application or game and choose the GPU for each.  For some reason, the CM games always default to the Intel GPU that is part of the Intel chipset.  

If you have a laptop,  you most likely have both GPUs.  If its a desktop, its depends on how the system was built.  You can also google how to set your default chipset."

3)  The problem may be Windows Defender.  Try disabling it.  You can temporarily disable it with these instructions.  

Choose Option One: To Turn Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows Security

• Option Two: To Turn On Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows Security
  • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in PowerShell
  • Option Four: To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Command Prompt
  • Option Five: To Enable or Disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Group Policy
  • Option Six: To Enable or Disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection using a REG file

4)  If that doesn't work, try loading a 3rd party security like AVG or AVAST (they are now made by the same company).  This will automatically disable Win Defender.

5)  Check Task manager to see what if anything is running.

6)  Try Microsoft's Process Explorer which can give you a few more details than Task Manager can about what is running on your system. When you extract this program (it doesn't do an 'install') run the 'procexp64.exe' and that will bring up the Process Explorer. With this you can launch it (instead of Task Manager) and then before launching CMFB, go to File > Save as and type a new name for the text file that will be saved. This will default to Process Explorer's directory and you can copy and paste that text up here and we can examine it for what may be running.

6)  Check the "Controlled folder access".  To navigate to it, type Defender into the search bar, click windows security, scroll down to ransomware protection, click manage ransomware protection, then disable controlled folder access.