bmp2 weapon choice

got a few questions about the bmp2 weapon choice by the ai when engaging targets. What exatly As shown in the picture below i caught a bradley out in the open and the bmp just stood there trying to use it's atgm at the bradley when the 30mm on it is quite capable of shredding the bradley at that range. The weapons choice of the AI seems really strange at times. It does the least optimal thing. I checked los and there really is no obstruction. The bmp itself isn't damaged or anything and the crew isn't shocked. So i have no clue why the bmp just stands there waiting for five seconds while it should be opening up with the autocannon. the bradley spotted me after 5-6 seconds and he did the right thing of opening up with the autocannon. I feel like this is a problem with the bmp(the bmp3 to be precise) in black sea too. It's choice of weapons seems really strange especially at close ranges

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1suUftp52cfgOUL6V-sDFF2XPNyRV6gsI/view?usp=sharing

Could be one of the many strange CM2 LOS issues we often discuss.  eg: The gunner's view may be obstructed, but one of the crew (the ATGM guy?) can see the Bradley.  Unfortunately there is no AI routine that enables a unit to move a few inches so that the main gun can target. We see that a lot with HMG's where the 3rd ammo carrier can see a target but the HMG gunner cannot and there is no way to move the HMG a few inches to get that LOS.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Could be one of the many strange CM2 LOS issues we often discuss.  eg: The gunner's view may be obstructed, but one of the crew (the ATGM guy?) can see the Bradley.  Unfortunately there is no AI routine that enables a unit to move a few inches so that the main gun can target. We see that a lot with HMG's where the 3rd ammo carrier can see a target but the HMG gunner cannot and there is no way to move the HMG a few inches to get that LOS.

if everyone can't see it properly shouldn't los be white instead of blue which means only some dudes can see him? it was blue in this case

Now you´re just missing a "bmp-1 weapon choice" thread to complete your collection.

- In the screenshot you´re using a "target" command. Give the BMP-2 a "light target" one and it will use its AC

- I don´t think this has something to do with LOS.

- It is true that the BMP-2 TacAI might use the ATGM even at closer ranges against a frontal Bradley. The ingame A2 Bradley comes with upgraded frontal armor with the goal to make it resistant to 30mm APDS and it is definitely not easily "shredded" as I have seen in numerous encounters. The ERA ones are even worse. You can definitely take them out with the 30mm in this circumstances but for me it is rather a tough call for the TacAI and not a strange one. However again by issuing a target command instead of a light one you´re enforcing it to use its ATGM.

Edited by Aquila-SmartWargames

18 minutes ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

Now you´re just missing a "bmp-1 weapon choice" thread to complete your collection.

- In the screenshot you´re using a "target" command. Give the BMP-2 a "light target" one and it will use its AC

Nope.i had a save right before the engagement. Tried absolutely everything. Target arcs, target armour arcs, target light same deal as before. And that's a really bad reason to give. I've used target multiple times before and never ran into this issue so something else goes into the BMP choosing weapons. And these aren't issues just faced by me. Last I remember the BMP 3 thread had a number of people talking about similar issues with weapon choice at closer ranges.

1 hour ago, ishfar94 said:

Nope.i had a save right before the engagement. Tried absolutely everything. Target arcs, target armour arcs, target light same deal as before. And that's a really bad reason to give.

We´ll see if it is really nope and a bad reason to give:

1st Test Run: BMP-2 is not given any orders. TacAI decides to use ATGM and takes out Bradley

2nd Test Run BMP-2 is given a Light Target Command (which is claimed to be not working). The BMP-2 engages the Bradley (No ERA) with the AC. In contrast to the screenshot situation the Bradley turned away from the BMP is in the utmost worst situation, still the Bradley is not penetrated by the 30mm and manages to turn and takes out the BMP-2. The BMP-2 wether was able to pen the flank nor the front of the Bradley (which is claimed to get shredded) It would be the better option to use the ATGM.

As I said penetration is possible to achieve and sometimes I even prefer the gunner not to use the ATGM for example when trying to "blind" with fire and because the gunner loves to immediately reload under fire but again its a "tough call" and at least the screenshot incident is far from the description "ingame issue". But I guess some ask questions while solely interested in approval of what they assume to be exclusively true, so I leave it to be as it is.

Edited by Aquila-SmartWargames