Do the Advanced Options work?

I have noticed a long time now in the other CM games that no matter if I have Shaders "On" in the Advanced Options, some scenarios (not all) always start with shaders off, and each time a load a save for that scenario the shaders are off again.

This seems to be the case in the SF2 demo as well. But I have also noted that having "Tree detail" set to "Low", the Day at the Beach scenario has no trees/tall grass swaying (as they should), but in Alamo they always do (and there is no toggle for it in game). In the Alamo I also have to manually put shaders on, despite having the advance option set "on". So, the Advanced settings work for one scenario but not the other. In the other CM games I have always played with "Tree detail" on high, so I haven't noticed it then.

Do you guys have the same thing in these scenarios? In that case it is a bug for all. If it isn't, it might be a bug for some PC/Mac setups.

10 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

The shaders behavior is intentional. They don't play well with fog or haze so they default to off in scenarios that have those weather effects. I have no idea about the trees. 

Good to know. But is it for performance or looks reason? I always find that the game looks better with shaders on.