Scenario Help

Hello:

(I know that most CMx1 forums are fairly quiet these days so hope it is OK to post this here as well as on Blitz.)

Not great at these games but I am still dabbling a bit with CMBB and was wondering if you could help me figure out how to approach Gefechtsaufklaerung as the attacking Germans.

Here is the map. 

I have an on-board IFH18 105mm artillery piece with HE and 3S. Plus I have an Sdkfz 251/10 command HT. There are scattered tress around the road in the setup area. The house on the right is on a rise. Also have a StuG IIIB.

Do you leave the Gun in the setup area (best LOS is then when it is placed on the road in the setup area). Or do you tow it somewhere with the Sdkfz?

I am struggling to see how to use these tools at my disposal. Any help much appreciated.

Gerry

Gefechtsaufklaerung.jpg

Am not familiar withe scenario and you do not say how long it is.  But dismounting and getting a gun ready for firing takes time.

My instincts would be to find the furthest position away from the objective building that you can find with good LOS to the building and place the gun there - so it is as safe as you can get it from enemy fire.  Then pound the building till it collapses - hopefully killing all the defenders.  Use the Stug to help with HE if needed.  While the smoke from the collapsed building blinds the enemy from seeing your movements - move in at that time and finish em off.

15+ Turns and it's a small map - from the StuG to the building it is only about 215m. So your idea seems very good. I was wondering what to do with the HT as it only has a 37mm gun so I thought they meant for you to tow the Gun somewhere.

One of my problems always is how to know if you will have LOS from somewhere. So I have a MG34. I could move it through the scattered tress to the house I suppose as that is on a rise so I "should" have LOS to the village from there. How do you try and find places for things like MGs in a scenario like this.

The HT can carry a team so I suppose I could carry the MG team in the HT to the house area?

Is there any resource that tells you how fast HT move through scattered trees?

Thanks very much.

49 minutes ago, GerryCMBB said:

15+ Turns and it's a small map - from the StuG to the building it is only about 215m. So your idea seems very good. I was wondering what to do with the HT as it only has a 37mm gun so I thought they meant for you to tow the Gun somewhere.

Use it to hose down a target building and keep suppressing defenders.  

One of my problems always is how to know if you will have LOS from somewhere. So I have a MG34. I could move it through the scattered tress to the house I suppose as that is on a rise so I "should" have LOS to the village from there. How do you try and find places for things like MGs in a scenario like this.

Comes from experience.

The HT can carry a team so I suppose I could carry the MG team in the HT to the house area?

You could.  But in such a short scenario you want to have every gun firing as much as possible.

I remember there were movement charts but it's so long ago.  Don't know where you'd find em mow.  Try asking at "A Few Good Men" or CMMODS sites.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, GerryCMBB said:

Thanks very much.

Just stumbled upon your post...  I checked my backup and I have this zip file PDF collection of 'Poor Old Spike'  tests of various conditions in CMx1 games.  You may find it of interest as well as maybe find an answer to the 'HT move through scattered trees' question, not sure though.  Here is a dropbox link for the zip file, I will keep active for now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x26llrcnuqfmq5a/PoorOldSpike_PDF.zip?dl=0

Edited by Blazing 88's

On 9/25/2018 at 10:06 AM, Blazing 88's said:

Just stumbled upon your post...  I checked my backup and I have this zip file PDF collection of 'Poor Old Spike'  tests of various conditions in CMx1 games.  You may find it of interest as well as maybe find an answer to the 'HT move through scattered trees' question, not sure though.  Here is a dropbox link for the zip file, I will keep active for now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x26llrcnuqfmq5a/PoorOldSpike_PDF.zip?dl=0

Thanks. You gave me that link sometime ago! I found it helpful. For example I had a German infantry squad killed a T-34 with a grenade bundle or Panzerwurfmine - cannot recall. Spike showed the distance you needed to close to, to make this work. Thanks again.

• 7 months later...