Target Light and flamethrowers

So i have using the Crocodile in Normandy in some QB's lately and i have discovered that the flame thrower on vehicles is grouped into the "heavy weapons" category of targeting commands and kinda find this annoying. I feel like have both a flamethrower and cannon blasting a target at close range is a little over kill and wasteful of ammo on the cannon, this problem extends to the OT-34 (and E4-5) and ponder why BF might have felt vehicle based flamer throwers couldn't be used with Target light?

I think just a limitation of options.  Target light is supposed to be ammo conserving of heavy weapons.  Basically you use the MGs with the thousands of rounds of ammo.  The FT is limited so doesn't quite get the same function and it's range is also not great so if you want to hose down a house 300 meters away to suppress somebody, the unit may be confused with it being out of range of the FT.  Not a great answer, but I think it is part of why.

I must say it also annoys me quite a bit too. If anything, I'd also prefer to see flamethrowers in the Target Light category. The MGs would still be able to suppress at range; the FT would only be fired at quite short range.

The game would not get confused, because it already knows how to do this. Just like when firing an infantry squad at long range, the bazooka and SMGs don't fire.