Dazzle camo is back--now on AFVs!

Is there a comparison study somewhere?  I'm not familiar with Naval Dazzle on land forces.  I'm curious how this was discovered and determined. 

Also it appears from this picture that the camouflage is on removable panels.  Are there different sets of camo for different conditions (urban, desert, ambient foliage)?  If so, I wonder whether the lower costs of removable panels makes Dazzle more cost effective than painting vehicles instead.  "Close enough" usually results in the cheapest procurement option.

Thanks for posting.

I've read mixed things about the effectiveness of razzle dazzle in Naval use. My inner R. Lee Ermey wants to call this "A Modern Art Masterpiece".

Generally the concept isn't to hide the vehicle, but to break up its silhouette, mask the heading and potentially the range. Even in WW1, its usefulness was questionable. In WW2, it became obsolete -- with better optics and range-finding equipment.

The theme I keep hearing from urban experiences in the middle east and Chechnya is that many modern AFVs are highly resistant to RPGs. RPG gunners need to hit tanks and IFVS in unprotected places. Places not covered by ERA, cage armour or composite inserts.

This often requires knowledge of the AFV's anatomy and from which angle it is most vulnerable. Usually, it takes them multiple RPGs to hit their mark. After the first, their life expectancy becomes considerably shorter.

The intention here is to obscure distinguishing features of the AFV -- especially strong spots and weak spots. Any "WTF" confusion caused by this pattern, could potentially buy the AFV time. At least, that's the idea. I doubt we will see repainting of land fleets into Picasso's just yet.