IL2 making a tank sim

Mord

Tank Crew: Clash At Prokhorovka was announced recently.

Tentative Vehicles:

• T-34-76 STZ
  • KV-1s
  • M4A2
  • SU-122
  • SU-152
  • GAZ-MM + 72K
  • PzKpfw III Ausf.L
  • PzKpfw IV Ausf.G
  • PzKpfw V Ausf.D
  • PzKpfw VI Ausf.H1
  • Sd. Kfz. 184
  • Sd. Kfz. 10 + Flak38
  • Prokhorovka - Belgorod Map {100x100 km Approx.)

Mord.

Edited by Mord

More tank sims - the merrier. But also depends on how they will depict them. Judging by numbers promised and how Il2 is - they most likely won't be interactive - just like planes. On the other hand that would be weird since tank instruments are infinitely simpler than airplanes. Clicking stuff is FUN.

I don't know what you need to click? I always figured the keyboard commands was basically you doing stuff inside the vehicle. And yeah, we need lots more tank sims because there's nary any serious ones out there (made in the last couple years) especially for WWII. I don't count WoT or War Thunder.

Mord.

Keyboard shortcuts are perfectly fine in a tank sim but being able to use, tweak, set up same controls in a virtual cockpit always adds to the immersion. In Steel Beasts and Steel Armor I enjoy pressing stuff with a mouse here or there, now and then - because it's just cool. 

That announcement was kind of surprising - or not. They have had a "proof of concept" tank sim mode in IL-2 for a couple (?) years now. Nothing very groggy, but I found it occasionally fun (for me the fidelity of Panzer Elite 44 was just at the right spot between visuals, realism and playability).

I don't get the same reward as @kraze does from clicking stuff on the screen. The only sim I remember playing featuring that - IL-2 CLOD - It made me feel like I was suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. I felt it was super slow, distracting and my wrist bones actually hurted. That's a bit of an immersion breaker for me: if I am on a Spitfire I should move around like someone in their early 20s, not in his early 80s.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:08 PM, kraze said:

Keyboard shortcuts are perfectly fine in a tank sim but being able to use, tweak, set up same controls in a virtual cockpit always adds to the immersion.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it as long as I don't have to do it. Immersion (clicking dials) is fine as long as it is a choice.

I like the UI at the bottom of the screen in Blaze of War, where you mouse click to change shell type and the like, though the commands and such could be made more intuitive. At this point I am fairly comfortable with it, but it took a while.

On 12/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, BletchleyGeek said:

That announcement was kind of surprising - or not. They have had a "proof of concept" tank sim mode in IL-2 for a couple (?) years now. Nothing very groggy, but I found it occasionally fun (for me the fidelity of Panzer Elite 44 was just at the right spot between visuals, realism and playability).

I am hoping they put a lot of thought into it now that they are going for a full on experience. I suppose if anyone is gonna get it right it would be a company known for sim games. Fingers crossed. But I was surprised too, pleasantly.

23 hours ago, Holman said:

I've always wondered why the Steel Beasts team didn't license their engine to someone wanting to do this.

You'd think somebody, anybody, would see an opening for one serious tank sim set in the time period. Especially since WoT became such a rage, and the demand for WWII games for the last 20 years. There's been more sub and helicopter sims, as far as I can tell. And they are pretty damn niche!

Mord.

Edited by Mord