newbie asking for help

Hydradcs

Hello guys, 

I've recently purchased Combat Mission Red Thunder and I'm having a great time so far. The game is outstanding and I enjoy reading through the forums here, the amount of knowledge both historical and in game terms is great. Could you guys help me with some questions from a new player?

1. Is there any way to control formation movement? Sometimes I want to move some tanks in a line simultaneously but too often they seem to block themselves because tank number four is faster than tank number three for example. 

2. Can I order an infantry unit mounted on a tank to dismount at the final waypoint of the tank? If I give the unit a move order they seem to dismount immediately before the tank starts to move.  

3.  Is there something like a database of all units? I spent some time in quick battle but most of the time I'm unsure which units to pick because I don't know a lot about the different unit types.

Thank you so much, any help would be appreciated. Michael

20 minutes ago, Hydradcs said:

<Snip>

1. Is there any way to control formation movement? Sometimes I want to move some tanks in a line simultaneously but too often they seem to block themselves because tank number four is faster than tank number three for example. <Snip> 

There is no follow command.  However use of the Pause command will help.  2nd vehicle 10 second Pause, third Vehicle 20 Second Pause etc. 

<Snip> 

2. Can I order an infantry unit mounted on a tank to dismount at the final waypoint of the tank? If I give the unit a move order they seem to dismount immediately before the tank starts to move.  <Snip> 

Yes but the tank must also have a movement order first.  Infantry will dismount as soon as the tank stops moving.  So if the tank takes fire and stops before the end waypoint the infantry will dismount and attempt to continue on their own.  

<Snip> 

3.  Is there something like a database of all units? I spent some time in quick battle but most of the time I'm unsure which units to pick because I don't know a lot about the different unit types.  <Snip> 

Not really.  The game manual (not engine manual) explains some things in general.  I suspect you are looking for more specifics than that.  I make a test map, in the scenario editor, and inspect it.  Also trial and error.  IMO a combined arms approach is the best.  Start small and work your way to larger battles/units keeping the combined arms mix and probably whatever your favorite nationality is.  Then branch out into the others as you get comfortable with the favorite one.  Most of the drills are transferable. Ask a lot of questions on the forum.   

Welcome to the forum!!

Edited by MOS:96B2P

15 minutes ago, Hydradcs said:

Hello guys, 

I've recently purchased Combat Mission Red Thunder and I'm having a great time so far. The game is outstanding and I enjoy reading through the forums here, the amount of knowledge both historical and in game terms is great. Could you guys help me with some questions from a new player?

Welcome aboard. Lots of people will likely chime in to help you out. Its what we live for :D

1. Is there any way to control formation movement? Sometimes I want to move some tanks in a line simultaneously but too often they seem to block themselves because tank number four is faster than tank number three for example. 

Not such that they coordinate with each other. You can select multiple units and issue move orders to them all simultaneously. This is very useful and you can also go back and tweak way points if you want afterwards. When moving multiple units together you have to be aware of which vehicles are faster and add pauses as needed. Also traffic control is important and making sure that there is sufficient space when vehicles that need to cross paths or go through a choke point is a bit of an art.

2. Can I order an infantry unit mounted on a tank to dismount at the final waypoint of the tank? If I give the unit a move order they seem to dismount immediately before the tank starts to move.  

Yes, you can. What you describe is the right way so I am not sure what is up. There are two ways to do this, depending on if you want the passengers to dismount before the vehicle moves or after it stops:

To get the troops to dismount and move off after the vehicle stops: Give the vehicle move orders to where you want to drop the soldiers off. Give the soldiers a move order to where you want them to go. What should happen is the vehicle moves off, stops at the end of its orders and the soldiers jump out and complete their move.

To get the troops to dismount right away and move off separate from the vehicle: Make sure the vehicle has no move orders. Select the soldiers and give them a dismount command and then the move order you want. Give the vehicle the move orders you want. What should happen is the vehicle waits for the soldiers to disembark and then both units move off on their own orders.

3.  Is there something like a database of all units? I spent some time in quick battle but most of the time I'm unsure which units to pick because I don't know a lot about the different unit types.

No there isn't. The manual contains information about the various vehicles. The formations are based on historical information so you could find information on the internet that matches up to the game. However the easiest way to go is probably some experimentation. Once you have put a few formations into a QB (select the battalion and delete everything but one company so you can see things better) and had a look at them you can eventually transition to just selecting a formation and expand it in the QB force selection screen and get an idea of what the force looks like.

It is not easy but I have found that I learned it by experimenting.