AIR FO ISSUE

Erwin

Am in first mission of "Mountains of Allah" campaign.  I have one of my Air Controller FO's fly a drone over a target and as soon as intel comes back the same FO orders an airstrike scheduled on the same target.  The drone gets there in a couple of minutes but the airstrike will take about 12 minutes to arrive.

The FO is then killed.  His radio operator is ok. 

This gives rise to a strange situation:

1) The drone cannot be assigned to any other FO.  Ok, so maybe his gear is lost and the drone is lost.  But, no...  The drone is fine and continues to report back recon info which can be used by other FO's for targeting.  Question: If the controls and intel gear are fine then why can't the drone be ordered elsewhere?

2) What happens to the scheduled airstrike?  One can't cancel it.  I assumed that after the FO had been dead for about 5-6 turns that the air support would get automatically cancelled. But, no...  It turned up about 5-6 turns later - presumably as scheduled.  (It just so happened that my troops had just overran the base and then got slaughtered by the friendly air attack - but that's irrelevant here.)

Something not right here.  Is this a bug or...?

Edited by Erwin

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

<Snip>  The FO is then killed.  His radio operator is ok. 

This gives rise to a strange situation:

1) The drone cannot be assigned to any other FO.  Ok, so maybe his gear is lost and the drone is lost.  But, no...  The drone is fine and continues to report back recon info which can be used by other FO's for targeting.  Question: If the controls and intel gear are fine then why can't the drone be ordered elsewhere?  <Snip>  

This is odd. I would expect the UAV to crash or the observe mission to be cancelled.  From Engine manual v3.01 page 76:

If the controller for a micro UAV (Raven or ZALA) is killed or incapacitated while the UAV is in the air, the UAV will crash and be destroyed.  Larger UAVs will automatically cancel the Observe mission.    

Maybe a patch corrected this after the scenario was released but the behavior is baked into the scenario?  And yes this is just a wild guess. 

Not sure if it makes a difference but while the FO himself was KIA, his radio operator is fine. 

The questions are: If the RO can keep the drone flying, why is it that player cannot cancel or adjust the drone.  Also, why doesn't the RO either cancel the airstrike, or call it in - in which case again, why can't the player cancel the air strike?  (One can't adjust air strikes.)

Am a bit shocked that no one else has played enuff to experience this situation. 

I was certain that we had a similar issue in earlier CM2 games but that a patch mitigated the situation so that when the FO was KIA the strike would be called off.  So, am very puzzled to encounter this situation again.