Exit objectives

puje

How exactly do Exit objectives work in terms of winning/losing conditions?

I am trying to make a scenerio where I want a unit (alpha) to reach a base (X) to reinforce a smaller unit (bravo). Once the entire alpha reach X I would like the mission to be completed (cease fire). Is it possible to use the exit objective to make this a win?

Edited by puje

Exit objectives do not end the scenario.  All they do is allow forces to leave the battle field.  As part of the victory conditions you can assign the enemy points for destroying certain units (which units and how many points is up to you).  Without any exit objectives the enemy must destroy those units for gain the points.  If you then add an exit objective then the enemy gets points if they destroy them or they fail to exit before the scenario ends.

I do not see how to use that to make what you are asking for work.  As an alternative would this work?  Give the enemy points for destroying Bravo, add an exit objective some where around where Alpha comes into the map.  Then have Alpha make a safe path for Bravo to exit.  If there are no points for Alpha then even if the scenario does not actually end the enemy can not do any better once all of Bravo are either killed / destroyed  or have exited.

Note: watch out where you place exit objectives relative to other unit's initial positions.  Annoying things can happen because anyone can exit if they step on the exit objective - just make sure there is some space around the exit.  A while back I played scenario where some reinforcements arrived just in front of an exit objective in trucks.  Some air craft strafed a treeline about 400m in front of the trucks but trucks are scardy cats so the backed up and nearly a platoon of infantry just vanished.  Bloody annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the opening comments I'm assuming this is part of a campaign of linked scenarios?

As long as you place only victory points against unit Alpha and the exit zone objective as IanL has stated then it should be a simple yes/no difference for the follow up mission at the base. If Alpha exits the map, this is a victory for the player and the campaign script leads to a a follow on mission of defending the base with surviving Alpha units in support. (Assuming Alpha is a core unit). If Alpha fails to exit (including if it is destroyed) then it is a loss for the player and in an alternative followup mission the player must defend the base without Alpha showing up.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Generally all exit missions rely on the player hitting the ceasefire button themselves. Don't worry most CM players are aware of this.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

• 1 month later...

No they are there all the time.  Watch where you place them and where troops start and reinforcements arrive.  I have lost reinforcements before because they arrived not far in front of the exit and retreated from spotted enemy right into the exit zone before I ever had a chance to issue orders.  Not a happy experience.