Blue on Blue?

So I have a lovely Panther nailed during a game and I think it is a Grenade hit. I look at end of game to find the American unit who did the deed but no one is owning up to killing the Panther. I can not even find a German unit that might have had a bad day and fragged their own tank!!!

A couple of questions to the Beta test team. Is it possible for a friendly grenade to take out your own tank?

Would it show against the unit tally at the end of the game, or is it hushed up...

I now need to try and find video clip and study really carefully what nailed it as it has me puzzled. If it was a friendly grenade this will make me smile that such things are possible, I am just not so happy I had some poor tossers in the vicinity of my lovely Panther!!!

:)

Not a beta tester, but I'm 99% certain that all HE in the game, from hand grenades right up to 15" battleship shells, is completely "agnostic" and can potentially injure or kill anyone or anything nearby.

A fratricide incident where a hand grenade takes out a Panther would certainly be highly unlikely, but not impossible.

I don't know how any "blue on blue" kills show in the end of game tallies, though. I suspect they do not show at all.

Joy I have found the video clip and have posted the screen shots on Flickr....

So the answer is yes you can destroy your own tanks with your own grenades....

:(

The complexity of this game just amazes me... Pity the tank had not actually run over my own men!!!!

So my own HMG crew have taken out a Panther first time with one grenade!!!

http://www.flickr.com//photos/16572454@N06/sets/72157629073631638/show/

lightbox

Ha....I wondered how that Panther had died as I had no knowledge of any of my men taking it out. I didn't even know it had moved there.

Looking at your clip, I would say the grenade guy was mightily pissed off that, having got a nice safe spot behind the hedgrow, a bloody great show-off tank drives almost on top of him. So he thought he would give the knob ache commander a bit of a fright. Quite how it went so wrong, I don't know!

I don't know what has happened to Flickr but I am getting connection refused? Not sure if anyone else is seeing the slide show or getting same issue? I can not get any advice via google as these error messages discussed on Flickr help forum and I can not get access to it or even see cached pages....

Update == OK just found a none Flickr site thread about it and seems to be a major outage and not just me. I had wondered if I had blown some limit by linking the photo's.....

Since the grenade was thrown from inside the geometry of the tank, I suspect we're seeing some bizarre byproduct of the overlapped units, not the typical effects of a grenade on a tank.

When infantry attack a tank with grenades or satchel charges, they are assumed to be close assaulting the tank rather than just tossing explosives at it. Consequently, even a single grenade has a chance to disable a tank in that situation.

Since the grenade was thrown from inside the geometry of the tank, I suspect we're seeing some bizarre byproduct of the overlapped units, not the typical effects of a grenade on a tank.

When infantry attack a tank with grenades or satchel charges, they are assumed to be close assaulting the tank rather than just tossing explosives at it. Consequently, even a single grenade has a chance to disable a tank in that situation.

Thanks I didn't know that.... :)

I guess I'll start trying some Banzai charges against tanks just using hand grenades that I never even though about using as a game tactic before ... :D

Regards,

Doug

I doubt that - there is no collision detection between friendly grenades or shells and vehicles, so it couldn't have hit the tank. There would also be a hit text if that was the case, so unless that was turned off it most certainly didn't hit the tank. To me it looks like the unlucky grenade hit the bocage hedge instead. As the tank was unbuttoned, the commander may have been wounded, and the crew could have taken a morale hit and abandoned the tank.

I doubt that - there is no collision detection between friendly grenades or shells and vehicles, so it couldn't have hit the tank. There would also be a hit text if that was the case, so unless that was turned off it most certainly didn't hit the tank. To me it looks like the unlucky grenade hit the bocage hedge instead. As the tank was unbuttoned, the commander may have been wounded, and the crew could have taken a morale hit and abandoned the tank.

Hand grenades and satchel charges don't cause hit text to show, or at least not on tanks under attack by those weapons. Looking at the explosion, it hard to tell if it is located on the tank hull or the hedgerow, but the grenade should also pass through the hedgerow without detonating.

Crew could certainly have abandoned following the TC taking a hit, but I would hope the OP would know that might be important to mention. :)

The tank was hit by an explosion and on the front plate. All crew were fine and got out OK.

I can post a video if it really helps but I think it is fairly clear you can kill your own tanks with your own grenades!!!

Which IMO is fair enough, I am sure it happened in the real world....

Which IMO is fair enough, I am sure it happened in the real world....

Not in the real world .. :D

A standard frag grenade would not penetrate armor.... in fact, it won't even damage the track or bogie wheels on a Sherman M4.

However, if the shrapnel hit an exposed CC in his open cupola and the rest of the crew abandoned the tank, I can see it being put out of action in the game, but then the tank should be able to be re-entered and used by the crew in the future.

Regards,

Doug

Not in the real world .. :D

A standard frag grenade would not penetrate armor.... in fact, it won't even damage the track or bogie wheels on a Sherman M4.

However, if the shrapnel hit an exposed CC in his open cupola and the rest of the crew abandoned the tank, I can see it being put out of action in the game, but then the tank should be able to be re-entered and used by the crew in the future.

Regards,

Doug

Hi Badger I am not saying it will destroy a tank via armour penetration, As described by akd the grenade assault routine on the tank is designed to represent the soldiers ability to hurt / disable a tank by close assault.

So I personally accept that as a design choice to allow infantry a chance of taking out a tank, if they get lucky.

So in this situation grenade on front plate of Panther absolutely no chance, and as you describe No chance, but as an abstraction for say getting grenade onto engine vents or crew hatch that works for me...

Just not so pleased to lose a Panther!!!