New Video Card and CMBO won't run!

I recently instaled a new video card for my computer and when I attempted to run Combat Mission the game locked-ip after the configuration set-up leaving staring at a black screen.

The video card is the Elsa, Gladiac 511, based on the NVIDA GeForce 2. It has the latest drivers and my computer has Direct X 8a installed.

Any ideas? I need my CMBO fix! :D

Thanks

What OS are you running ? What version of the drivers are you using - are they NVidia Reference drivers or Elsa supplied drivers ?What was the previous card you had in your machine ? Have you performed an uninstall on the drivers for your previous video card ?

You may want to install DirectX 8.0a again and then install the drivers for your Elsa.

I'd also suggest deleting your CM Prefs file and having CM reselect the resolution again, possibly trying a lower resolution/refresh rate to see if it makes a difference. You may also want to check to see how your monitor is configured in the Display control panel, if it is the wrong model or something generic (other than 'Plug and Play'), you may want to define it more accurately. Windows 2000 will also limit the refresh rate from a specific drop down dialog, so you may want to change that if you're running that OS.

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

It's a bit of a hassle, but it may be worth it if it's a bigger hassle to reinstall your system.

Download or have the CD handy for the drivers you want to use with your Elsa card. You'll need to uninstall the drivers for your Elsa and your previous video card (if the uninstall is listed). Hopefully this won't require a reboot as of yet. Next go to the C:\WINDOWS\INF\OTHER directory and see if there are any .INFs relating to your Elsa or previous video card (you can sometimes tell by the name of the file, otherwise you'll have to open it up with Notepad to find out what it applies to) and delete these files. Next run the regsitry editor REGEDIT. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > ENUM > DISPLAY > you'll most likely want to delete all of the settings listed here by highlighting them in the left-hand pane and deleting them (not the DISPLAY subkey itself though). Close up the DISPLAY subkey and go to the PCI subkey and click on the items below this subkey. You'll have to click on the plus signs next to each VEN_... item since it's indecipherable; highlight the BUS_... key below the VEN_... key and in the right-hand pane will a bunch of properties. Look for a "DeviceDesc" item and the text to the right of that should describe what device this subkey is for. When you find devices related to your video cards highlight the VEN_... subkey in the left-hand pane and delete it. Go through all of these subkeys to find anything related to your video cards. Going to the Registry menu and Exit should save all the changes you've made. In fact be very careful in the registry editor not to delete anything accidentally since you can't (well, there is a way) recover from this mistake since it is processed to the registry as soon as you do it.

With these steps done, hopefully you've removed any references to your video cards. When you boot up the next time, Windows should detect your Elsa card, but it won't find the driver for it and will ask you for one. At this point you can attempt to install the driver or you can install a default SVGA driver, then install the Elsa driver.

If this is too much of a hassle, then a clean reinstall of Windows would be required to get things working again.