BYTE De Ville - Spoilers - German Warning if you play HtH

*** SPOILERS *** Just finishing up a the Byte De Ville and if anyone picks this up to play be warned that the field on the left of the German set up is not accessible. It looks like there are gaps into the field but I have just play tested trying to get into the field and any troops given orders to do so will not move and just sit there for whole turn. This is down to the Designer using low bocage with no real gaps.

This for me seriously under mines the scenario for the Germans as they have limited choices in the game and the German Armour is seriously hampered as it is restricted by the use of bocage on their side of the map.

Also the American reinforcement armour arrives first and can then dominate the arrival area for the Germans as there are only two choices for the Stug and MKIV.

This map and scenario IMO needs a major overhaul to give the German player a bit more room to manoeuvre.

The design does make the village a lot closer for the Germans so maybe the designer has deliberately done this?

In Hindsight in my game I could have maybe just rushed the town as the designer wanted but I am averse to buildings and wanted to flank to the left. I lost two / three turns with troops sat still not understanding why and in a 30 turn game losing 10% of the turns sat still is not ideal as it allowed the Americans to gain precious flanking options which the Germans did not have.

Also the choice of crews for the German tanks is poor and with a -2 commander as soon as he spots enemy infantry the tank retreats no matter what you have ordered. This is despite him having the advantage. The Americans get better tank crews and no minuses from memory so I would look at changing that as well.

I am sure some players as Germans will have had fast and furious fun but for me the map is flawed and the tank balance is wrong IMO.

Just my 2p and others will have different views that I am happy to read to see how it could be done differently...

H

HI!

Thanks for your input. We'll have a look at the scenario, especially the inaccessible field, I'm quite sure it used to be accessible... but strange things happen when you fiddle about with a scenario.

A quick look at our test log shows that the German players won the first 8 out of 10 test games which might have led to some "downsizing" of the German force in terms of experience and leadership.

In any case, a version 1.1 will be available shortly as we are updating a good few Byte Battles based on feedback from players.

-Derfel

The Germans do have an advantage as being able to get to the village quickly and that must help but the Regular MKIV with a -2 tank commander just meant he kept backing away without taking a shot at a Sherman sat out in the open.

I think the bocage on the right for the German set up has the potential to be too powerful for the Germans and if you re modelled the map to be more open similar to the American side.

Also the Church is not mentioned in briefing as being important (i.e. a VP location).

Finally while I think of it the briefing does not say you will get reinforcements which might have helped, but I can see there are arguments for and against saying too much in the briefing...

Of course it could be just me and the wrong tactics I took?

One other thing the Germans get off board mortars which is nice but this is offset by having no OP and trying to call it in during the game is not easy and the Americans perhaps get better value from well stocked 60mm Mortars, I.e. 60 odd rounds each mortar?

Always difficult for the designer and I hope these comments help...

H

• 2 weeks later...

Derfel not sure if you have seen the thread about the odd AI behaviour for the German Tanks.

This was caused by them going to rattled when they lost contact with the 1st platoon HQ they were linked to. Could you make one of the tanks a HQ unit which would be a bit better and solve the rattled issue to some extent.

Holien - im playing a QB against winkelreid and he noted something interesting - he purchased his M4 shermans and had them attached at the platoon level. unfortunately for him when his platoons took heavy casualties this adversely affected his armors morale as well. I havent encountered this - i attach my armor at the battalion or company level always.

However - were your tanks perhaps attached to a platoon by the scenario designers? because then if the platoon took heavy losses that'd explain your tanks 'spooked' behavior

Sublime yes this is what had happened, despite tanks not taking any losses or being fired at they were attached to the 1st platoon Inf HQ which got nailed by that 60mm mortar as he was trying to call in the German 81mm off board stuff.

So it explains why they were at rattled status and I have not looked but maybe your tanks had their own HQ hence they did not mind about all your broken American Inf. It is an important point to note and for designers there has to be good reasons why you attach the tanks to an Inf Platoon HQ.

I am still not sure that a Rattled tank should not have even taken a shot at your Shermans but that is the way the game is coded so we will have to live with it.