Target arc for spotting

plau011

Hi all,

I have been playing a scenario with lots of bushes and hidden enemy infantry in the bushes(Die Festung if you wondering).

I was using the Hunt command but would always be almost on top of the units and gunned down.

I tested using Hunt + target arc and found they will spot the enemy some distance away with the target arc set and return file.

I tried looking in the forums for an answer on this but was unable to.

Does anyone know if the size of the target arc matters?

Do you have a better chance at long range detection if you have a narrow arc field but a longer distance?

Would a 360 Target Arc,(holding shift while setting target arc) 100 meter radius be less effective spotting than a 45 deg. target arc for 100 meters?

I would imagine and hope this is the case, but was wondering what others have found or if there is an official BF confirmation of this.

Is there a maximum that the unit can spot, assuming they have clear visibility? Is this tied to their weapon(sniper= longer visibility?)

I know Target Arc is tied to where the unit would open fire as well, but am more interested in the spotting aspect.

Thanks!

From my experience:

Does anyone know if the size of the target arc matters?

I find it better to have a small angle arc pointing in the desired direction as that simulates everyon's attention being given to that direction and arc.

Do you have a better chance at long range detection if you have a narrow arc field but a longer distance?

I do not believe so. The length of the arc is simply a way of restricting the range one's troops will open fire.

Would a 360 Target Arc,(holding shift while setting target arc) 100 meter radius be less effective spotting than a 45 deg. target arc for 100 meters?

Yes. (Troops would be forced to look around 360 degrees.)

Is there a maximum that the unit can spot, assuming they have clear visibility? Is this tied to their weapon (sniper= longer visibility?)

Guys with binocs (and I assume snipers) see better. On the relatively small CMBN maps I believe that in clear vis, one can see "forever."

I will be happy to stand corrected by more knowledgeable players and testers etc.

Thanks for everyones answers on this.

I guess my more exact question would be how best to advance through wooded areas?

So far I have come up with is: 'don't do it if necessary'.

I try and keep my boys out of the trees because they don't have much of an advantage at close range and are getting smoked.

Obviously if you are on the defensive this doesn't hold true and didn't seem to help too much(as confirmed above).

But at some points on the map I do have to cross through some trees. I need to experiment more.

I saw in one thread Erwin mentioned using hunt with lots of waypoints and pausing at each way point. I need to try that.

I am trying with multiple teams, but it seems one gets fired upon and the others still don't see the enemy unit, and that doesn't help too much.

Maybe have the teams set up more front/behind of each other instead of sidet side of each other?

Anyone else have tips?