Unfortunately, I seem to be having problems with the game. Played the demo, liked it, bought it, and installed, but it keeps crashing with the following in the error log.

[09/01/2011 4:37:37; 6.1.7601; 2560x1600x32(1); v1.03] DIRECTX FAILED(draw_map_to_screen): dderr_invalidrect

[09/01/2011 4:38:55; 6.1.7601; 2560x1600x32(1); v1.03] DIRECTX FAILED(draw_map_to_screen_from_buffer): dderr_invalidrect

System is windows 7 on virtual machine, iMac i7.

This is the first problem with any software on the VM.

Pavel

The copy protection system used in SC WW1 does NOT like virtualization software. It's considered a method of hacking the copy-protection and the game usually shuts down upon seeing most virtualization programs (that it recognizes - and I don't know which specific programs or environments it does or does not recognize).

How far do you get in playing the game ? Are you getting these DirectX errors just on launching or are you able to play for awhile and then get these errors ?

Are you running Parallels 6 with Windows 7 ? Is this setup strictly a virtual machine or do you have a dedicated BootCamp partition for Windows 7 ?

It's a conflict between the chosen screen resolution in the game, and the resolution of the screen in the virtual machine

The default VM's resolution in Parellels is 2560x1281 vice 2560 x 1440 for my 27" iMac screen, wen not running in full-screen mode.

If you run the virtual machine in full screen, and chose the resolution that matches it in the settings for the game, it runs fine. In this case I chose 2560 x 1440, and the game runs like a champ for hours.

If you exit full screen in the virtual machine the game immediately crashes with the error listed above.

So, if some poor Mac owner wanting to play this pretty cool game is searching later on this, the (possible) solution is to run your virtual machine only in full screen mode, with a resolution that matches what you pick in the game settings. Then everything is OK.

The issue is that, at least in Parallels, that as you resize the VM screen it dynamically changes the resolution. The game does not like that.

My set up (for anyone searching later).

mid 2010 iMac 27" with Lion os X, running Parallels 7, with windows 7, 64 bit.

Pavel