Newbie Tips/Mines

Hi folks,

I've jut bought CMBN a few days ago and I'm loving it so far but I'm finding it really hard going. I've been lurking the forums for a while and you seem like a friendly bunch so I thought I'd ask some questions.

1. How do you deal with mines? I can't seem to get my engineers to mark them, I only find them when one of my guys explodes.

2. Can a squad get C2 Leadership bonuses from another HQ unit other than its own? For instance, if it shows as out of C2 with it's own HQ but is right next to the company HQ does it get any benefit?

3. If I take heavy casualties (as in a whole platoon of infantry and two tanks in the second mission) in the first few missions on the road to Mountsomewhere campaign, is it worth continuing or should I restart?

4. Is there some sort of strategy guide or tactics forum (I can see one for Shock force but alot of that stuff isn't relevant to WW2) to help a beginner?

Thanks for any replies.

<snip>4. Is there some sort of strategy guide or tactics forum (I can see one for Shock force but alot of that stuff isn't relevant to WW2) to help a beginner?<snip>

Looking at the Shock Force tutorials is a good place to learn how to use the new CM2x commands.

For WWII tactics here is a link to a collection of posts based on the old games. If, while you are reading, you focus on the tactics used and not on the game commands there is lots of good information there:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=96905

I've jut bought CMBN a few days ago and I'm loving it so far but I'm finding it really hard going. I've been lurking the forums for a while and you seem like a friendly bunch so I thought I'd ask some questions.

Welcome aboard. It's no easy ride :)

1. How do you deal with mines? I can't seem to get my engineers to mark them, I only find them when one of my guys explodes.

Any unit has a chance of spotting them (without detonating them).

Engineers have a higher chance, but it's by no means certain.

Units moving slowly (i.e. Normal, Hunt or Slow) have a better chance.

So Slow Engineers have the best chance of detecting mines without being blown up.

You can Mark Mines once mine square has been identified (either by misfortune or careful observation). To Mark Mines, move engineers close to the mine square (or give them orders to do so), and then add a Mark Mines waypoint. Like Blast, you have to be within a few metres of the mines for it to work (though Blast will let you plot it from any distance, it just won't work if you start too far from the obstacle).

Troops under fire don't deal with mines very quickly, so often the best way to deal with mines is just to have everyone be very careful around them. Slow moving troops are relatively unlikely to detonate mines even if they don't spot them.

2. Can a squad get C2 Leadership bonuses from another HQ unit other than its own? For instance, if it shows as out of C2 with it's own HQ but is right next to the company HQ does it get any benefit?

Yes. You get C2 at close ranges to your Company and Battalion HQs. In my current scenario, one platoon has lost both its CO and the company CO and is now being commanded by the company XO. It only works for voice and sight though, and I get the feeling the ranges are a bit diminished.

3. If I take heavy casualties (as in a whole platoon of infantry and two tanks in the second mission) in the first few missions on the road to Mountsomewhere campaign, is it worth continuing or should I restart?

Can't answer specifically for the Road to Montebourg campaign, but there is, generically, a chance, set by the designer, of resupply for any given element between battles of a campaign.

4. Is there some sort of strategy guide or tactics forum (I can see one for Shock force but alot of that stuff isn't relevant to WW2) to help a beginner?

There's nothing coherent and comprehensive yet. A surprising amount of the CMSF tactics do apply to CMBN, though. It's just sorting out some of the translations and unit equivalencies can be a bit tricky, and some of the emphasis can vary a bit. Fire and movement, scouting and patience are all virtues. Banzai charges are not :)

Thanks for the link, there's some interesting stuff to look at there.

Welcome aboard. It's no easy ride :)

Thanks for the advice, espescially on the mines, I've played Shockforce but I never knew any of that.

For my own contribution, I found an article describing the real life tactics used by the USA during the Normandy campaign. It's probably old news to the veterans around here but for other newcomers it might be interesting. It's called Busting the Bocage, heres the link:

www.cgsc.edu/carl/resources/csi/doubler/doubler.asp

Hi folks,

Thanks for any replies.

When the Eastern front module comes out, there will be Punishment Battalions who march ahead of your troops