such a silly question, i'm embarrased to ask

Are scenarios/QB intended to run full time? or is one 'expected' in the game engine to know when its time to throw up your hands and surrender?

i've been in the habit of playing till the game ends, but it seems i'm going to zero and then beyond.

my current battle 'buying the farm', is now in its +6 minutes to the starting 30. is that normal?

the US is mopping up, Germans are down to a few (3?) units, most having surrendered or even exited off... but the scenario continues.

seems previous CM's would stop when the issue was no longer in doubt. CMBN i get the feeling its left final decision more in the hands/mind of the player.

yes?

There is a 'global morale' scale which will trigger the AI to surrender once it drops below a certain point. In scenarios, the designer can avoid this and force a side to fight on forever if they include reinforcements which will enter after the game has finished; they're included in the morale average, so it's hard to drop it below the floor that would trigger surrender.

Elsewise, if you're done, the ceasefire button is your friend.