Barrage

Just an observation.

Artillery barrages are in the game - finally - through the use of the "line target".

But the game throughout insists on using the term "barrage" when I think it really means "bombardment" or "concentration".

Am I trying to be overly precise with my terminology? ;-)

I think you might be. Such efforts might also be misguided anyway. Don't know for certain, but I don't think "barrage" refers only to linear strikes. "Rolling barrage", on the other hand, is a specific kind of bombardment, but could be simulated on some scales by (lots of) side-by-side circular strikes from multiple batteries.

I think you might be. Such efforts might also be misguided anyway. Don't know for certain, but I don't think "barrage" refers only to linear strikes. "Rolling barrage", on the other hand, is a specific kind of bombardment, but could be simulated on some scales by (lots of) side-by-side circular strikes from multiple batteries.

Wouldn't it be a series of linear strikes that are adjusted every so often?

The term "barrage" in the military artillery sense comes from the WWI French artillery term "tir de barrage" meaning "barrier fire". The meaning simply refers to artillery fired in such a way as to isolate an objective.

Of course, the English meaning has changed over time, and in some times and to some people, it may mean linear patterns specifically. But the original meaning of the term had nothing to do with the pattern per se, but rather with the intended effect. Of course, a tir de barrage might be a linear pattern, but depending on the specific situation, other patterns might serve this function as well.

Merriam-Webster has this:

1: artillery fire laid on a line close to friendly troops to screen and protect them

2: a vigorous or rapid outpouring or projection of many things at once <a barrage of protests>

In the military sense, you are probably right, but on the other hand, a lot of ordinance dropping on an area of any shape may generally be referred to as a barrage as well.

BTW, other dictionaries are not so strict about the line in military use. see here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/barrage