Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

need glasses for the sharpshooters ....

Note that Regular Experience Sniper Teams aren't all that great. Decent, but not consistently in the "one shot, one kill" club. If they were, then what would a Crack Sniper Team do? One shot, five kills?

Steve

This.

To be honest, most snipers I know (some of them with actual combat experience) never claim to hit with every bullet. Then again they don't open fire at targets they're not reasonably sure they're going to take down.

Though there's quite a difference between a sniper-team acting alone or a marksman/sniper attached to a platoon (I've always considered the CM snipers to be of the latter kind). Their job is to support their unit with observation and take down high value targets such as support-gunners, officers and other marksmen.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it isn't normal to have that many snipers doing that sort of stuff. So it's also artificial.

yes thats right, but i wanted to test the snipers abilities, so i used snipers.

when i found out, that maybe something is wrong, i played a normal quickbattle with 1 sniperteam inside my infantry troops.

after seeing something, i described earlier, i wanted to do it with some more sniper troups to see what then will happen and at least i used snipers only.

------------------------------------

now i also made the tests with the map from siffo with the 10 lanes at 100 meter and 50 meter.

gamesetting itself (difficoulty) was veteran and als 6 tests where made in realtime:

1 tryout 100 meters : 0 tc hits

1 tryout 50 meters : 2 tc hits

2. tryout 100 meters: 0 tc hits

2. tryout 50 meters : 0 tc hits

3. tryout 100 meters : 0 tc hits

3. tryout 50 meters : 0 tc hits

arround 85% bullets hit the turret, appr. 12% the weapon mount, rest missed the whole tank

tanks where looking 90 degrees away from the sniper to the left, so they dont react immidiately and the sniper have some first shots without tanks firing back. i let the game runs itselfs until all snipers are dead. if some or 1 sniper was alive, i let the game run, until the scenary ends itself

Steve,

1. May be you can tell what test setup you would consider helpful? I mean this way you would get more help from the community.

See previous tests. They're very good.

The problem is there is no "one size fits all" approach to testing. Instead, the tests need to be setup to try and reproduce a specific, possible problem. However, basic things to do are:

1. Run a LOT of the same exact tests, many, many times. The easiest way to do this is setup a map with 10, 15, 20, etc. "lanes" that allow the same tests to be conducted in each lane without them interfering with each other.

2. Unless there is a specific reason to do otherwise, try to use Regular Experience and otherwise "normal" statistics. If stats are adjusted they should be adjusted because the change is relevant to the test. For example, "I think Crack guys run away too easily from minimal fire". Can't test that without having Crack test units :D

3. If some sort of game factor appears to have a variable influence, run a bunch of tests with the variable one way, then another. A common variable is range, another is cover, another is movement type, etc.

4. Depending on what is being tested, Hot Seat WeGo is usually the best. This allows you to see what's going on from both sides and rule out FoW misinterpretation of the results. Sometimes Scenario Author Mode works nicely.

5. Use your head to try an eliminate as many non-relevant variables as possible. Weather should be "normal", lighting should be "normal", etc. Again, this is specific to whatever you're trying to test.

2. May be you could consider telling which variables go into the model? Apart from the obvious stuff. I understand it might be tricky.

I try to when I think I can offer some meaningful guidance. But in this case the results are all over the place and I don't know why any more than you guys do. However, we're starting to get some idea of what's going on.

Steve

yes thats right, but i wanted to test the snipers abilities, so i used snipers.

when i found out, that maybe something is wrong, i played a normal quickbattle with 1 sniperteam inside my infantry troops.

after seeing something, i described earlier, i wanted to do it with some more sniper troups to see what then will happen and at least i used snipers only.

See my previous post about testing. Controlling variables is very important. A QuickBattle or Scenario does not allow this to happen.

now i also made the tests with the map from siffo with the 10 lanes at 100 meter and 50 meter....

arround 85% bullets hit the turret, appr. 12% the weapon mount, rest missed the whole tank

We have seen similar results in our own testing. This should be easy to fix. However, I do not know if this is the only problem. We are going to fix this (internally, of course) and see if the other tests come out OK.

Note that Charles is working on something else right now and won't be able to get to this for a week. But I am pretty sure that he'll be able to fix it very quickly using some of the test scenarios that have been posted in the Beta Forum.

Thanks for all the help. I *think* we have enough information to locate the problem/s. I will report back as soon as Charles has looked into this.

Steve