drivers , but had flashing on the screen

so I down loaded the latest drivers

from Nividia. Now the system locks up

after a few turns.

( it might have lock up before but I just went

for new drivers after seeing the flashing

after the first turn. so maybe I did not give

it enough time to.) screen flashes and after

a few turns then looks like it Locks up...........

And yes I defraged , ETC .... before I installed

and Yes I did a Reinstall.

{a few hours later.......

I find the game playes OK well at least it dose

not lock up , if I keep the screen set to 1,2,3,4 keys. 5 or above causes flashing and screen seems to lock. At this point I can save the game ,quit , and restart to were I left off...}

help

Nick Walker

ndwalk95521@yahoo.com

Arcata , CA

[ September 24, 2002, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: bobnickbob ]

I don't know why the game would have problems with certain overhead views (they're generally less intensive since there's much less detail).

When you say you have the 'latest drivers', which exact drivers do you have for your video card ? Did you uninstall the 28.32's before installing the latest drivers or did you just install over the 28.32's ?

Do you have the VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers installed ? If not I suggest download the v. 4.35 drivers (which aren't the latest) for Win9x/ME. Some people claim that the newer VIA chipset drivers have problems with Win9x.

Schrullenhaft

thanks for the reply

I am using 30.82 win me drivers for my G-force 3

card. I was using the 28.32 drivers . Dosn't

seem to make a diff.

Also I uninstalled the old drivers first...

I do have the 4 in 1 set up running, I will try the latest drivers next thanks for the Idea..

also late last night I loaded the game on my back-up system and it runs fine (although real slow)

I have a geforce mx 400 in that system so I don't think is has to do with the video card.

could be my monitor, I will check that after the 4 in 1 driver update. :rolleyes:

some time later;

Now I have all new drivers at least all the ones I can think of still the same problem......

One other thing i have noticed that when the screen starts to flash ,and i move around the map view 1234 the trees just infront of me disappear...

The flashing, some of it anyway looks like single trees and troops flashing on and off.

any Ideas

thanks again

bnickb

[ September 25, 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: bobnickbob ]

I suggest uninstalling your current video drivers and uninstalling your current VIA chipset drivers. When you reboot select a 'Standard PCI SVGA' adapter for your video.

Next download and install DirectX 8.1b (though someone else here said that 8.1b has a problem with AMD CPUs, but I don't know if that is verified). You'll probably have to reboot after this.

Next install the VIA 4-in-1 v. 4.35 drivers (not the latest since they supposedly have problems with Win9x/ME). After rebooting for this install the NVidia Detonator 30.82 for Win9x/ME. You'll need to reboot after this too.

Once this is done, run the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG) and on the Display tab check that all three settings are enabled and that the card will pass the Direct3D test. Leave the advanced DirectX settings (from the Display control panel) at their default settings for now.

With this done, delete your CMBB Prefs file and reselect your resolution. Of course you'll want your desktop set to a resolution that is at least as high as you want to run CMBB at. Now see if you still have the same graphical problems with CMBB.

When I shut it down this morning I still had problems. OK what did you guys do

send in the fix it weazels???

I have no idea what happened , my guess is one of the driver changes I made helped , but when I got home after work and fired up the game , it worked just fine, no screen flashing ,no freeze up ,works as advertized.

I am thrilled !!!!! smile.gif;) and thanks once again for the replys Schrullenhaft

bnickb