I can't get the UI to work on my iMac

On another thread, I posted:

I have so much trouble controlling my map views in WeGo, I couldn't possibly play real-time. With more than four or five active units, I'd have a nervous breakdown trying to conduct a battle.

Steve replied (slightly edited):

"Our experience with players like you, going back to CM:SF, is that there's something you're doing that's nuking your ability to play with the ease the rest of us enjoy. I'm not saying you're doing something "wrong", in an absolute sense, just something "counter productive" to the goals of easy camera control. I mean, just ask yourself... how is it that some people can play, and win, the same scenario in RT that you're struggling with in WeGo? Either something is tripping you up, or those of us who can do better in RT are Godlike...

Seriously, there's no physical way someone can play in RT and win if the UI itself is so bad. I'm not saying it's perfect (it isn't), but if it is functional enough for successful RT play then WeGoers shouldn't be struggling.

My advice is to start up a new thread and ask for some help with figuring out what you're doing or not doing that's getting in the way. For some it's key related, some it's mouse related. Often it has something to do with a CMx1 habit that doesn't work the same way in CMx2. If we can figure out what that is, I'm sure you'll have a completely different game experience."

So, this is Steve's suggested thread. I've posted about my problems with the CM:BN user interface many times on many threads. A search on MOSwas71331 will let those interested read the gory details.

For this new thread, I'll just refer mostly to things marnoldster does easily in his tutorial video (http://youtu.be/SbE8795rt2s) that I can't do at all.

marnoldster seems to have a standard view above and behind the US forces' primary direction of advance giving a kind of over the shoulder look at what's going on. He frequently moves his view elsewhere, but he seems able to snap back to that view instantly. HOW DOES HE DO THAT? [i have two views I like, the primary one directly above the entire map with the long axis (E-W) horizontal to fill my iMac's screen and the other essentially equivalent to that I just described. To get to either of my preferred views takes me four or five minutes of keystrokes as I try to rotate the map and center it, and, should I accidentally select a unit, the view jumps somewhere else and I have to start over.]

I've no idea why marnoldster's Shermans engage German targets, as I haven't seen him give them targeting orders. When I move my Shermans to give covering MG fire or smoke for my advancing US infantry, my tanks usually can't see any German units to engage, and, when they can see Germans, they're quickly knocked out by German AT fire.

I have an iMac, too (and not a new one) and have very few problems. I can describe how I get around the map if that helps you.

I use exclusivly the keyboard. I tried panning and turning with the mouse but that doesn't work for me. Also with the mouse I too often activated expose functions.

WASD for movement, QE for turning, RF up/down. The number keys for setting the viewing angle. 3 & 4 are my most commonly used.

If I really want to see what a unit did (wego player here) I click on the units icon, press TAB to center on it and then 1 or 2 to get a close view. TAB is also very useful with the higher angles as it also turns your view to the direction of the unit. Thats were you normally want to look to, too.

If I want to view from a spot further away CTRL-click jumps you there. Then V comes in very handy (turns you 180°) because after CTRL-jumping you usually look in the wrong direction.

V is also very handy when you want to look at your troops from an opponents view. TAB to a unit, press V and move a bit backwards with S.

The controls work very good for me. The only thing I miss sometimes is a 'look to' function which only sets the angle without moving you. Would be nice for LOS issues.

AFAIK there is no 'save this view' function (which I wouldn't oppose :)

(*) I wrote all keystroke in caps just for clarity