Request: More Floating Icons

Not sure if it would be easy or not, but I'd love to see a few more floating icons for different unit types.

Ammo bearers and XO teams both use the standard infantry icon, making them difficult to pick out. It'd also be nice if there were a separate icon for Airborne infantry.

Any chance for these? Thanks.

BTW, is it just me or do the Lost Contact icons float just above the ground for some reason? They can often be difficult to spot in bocage terrain.

And the tank vs. infantry Lost Contact icons have been requested before, so I won't mention it again. Okay ... maybe I will. ;)

- Chris

Add:

• heavy and light machine gun teams being distinct
  • different icons for engineers

for starters, with the option to have various statuses shown (probably only one at a time) in the floater: fatigue, morale, suppression, ammo... Clicking through every element of a unit to find out which are tired/pinned/nervous etc. is irritating.

BTW, is it just me or do the Lost Contact icons float just above the ground for some reason? They can often be difficult to spot in bocage terrain.

They are close to the ground, because otherwise you could not see where the contact was. With what location on the ground does an icon floating in the sky correspond?

For the same reason they overlap, while the icons of your own troops will displace each other up into the air, because you must be able to click on them at all times.

They are close to the ground, because otherwise you could not see where the contact was. With what location on the ground does an icon floating in the sky correspond?

That's a good point; you wouldn't want the icon to be too high, but I still think it can be raised some without losing its approximate location. The dense trees and especially bocage in CMBN provide real visual obstacles from seeing it at all in many cases, unlike on most CMSF maps.

- Chris

There are mods for the floating icons which make it a lot easier to distinguish between types of units.

My biggest present complaint about the floating icons is that they frequently overlap two and three deep, making it difficult to select an icon below the top icon. As the key strokes for advancing from unit to unit don't always work reliably for me, the set up phase takes a lot longer than it should.

It would also be nice if the floating icons for foxholes, trenches, and TRPs were different. I have to spend extra time in the set up for "Busting the Bocage", trying to rearrange the starting placements of these items.