Best CD Drive To Buy

markl

I am going to replace my CD ROM drive and would like to know which drives will be best for the upcoming CMAK? I have noted in this forum that some drives have problems reading over-packed CD's like CMBB, so I do not wish to get one that may not work with the next game version.

About a month ago I purchased a DVD drive, every time I put a disk in it, it spins for ages and I give up and crash it., I have followed all instructions from the shop where I purchased the drive and they tell me this is common. I have checked this with friends and this does seem to be a problem with DVD drives and some others.

(Maybe why not many games come out on DVD?)

So I really do not want another one of these.

My trusty old one seems to work fine apart from the noise, so I would like to go with a normal CD drive if possible. For the price I do not want to muck around with a DVD drive as I think these things should either work straight out of the box or chuck it.

Any help would be appreciated

Originally posted by markl:

I am going to replace my CD ROM drive and would like to know which drives will be best for the upcoming CMAK? I have noted in this forum that some drives have problems reading over-packed CD's like CMBB, so I do not wish to get one that may not work with the next game version.

About a month ago I purchased a DVD drive, every time I put a disk in it, it spins for ages and I give up and crash it., I have followed all instructions from the shop where I purchased the drive and they tell me this is common. I have checked this with friends and this does seem to be a problem with DVD drives and some others.

(Maybe why not many games come out on DVD?)

So I really do not want another one of these.

My trusty old one seems to work fine apart from the noise, so I would like to go with a normal CD drive if possible. For the price I do not want to muck around with a DVD drive as I think these things should either work straight out of the box or chuck it.

Any help would be appreciated

My Lite-On cd works just fine.

Go here for a reference, cheap and dependable.

KC

My Lite-on CD drive crashed after one year of service, with a CD in it (CD in a thousand pieces hehehe )

I now have a 56x A-Open drive.

Both play and recognise CMBO and CMBB without problems.

They are very cheap though, i think they are made for only 1 or 2 years the most :rolleyes:

Monty

Thanks for the replies.

Both Lite-On and A-Open seem to have a good name. Lite-On especially with their burners for making backups.

The above post by Monty reflects one of my gripes regarding CD players and their media. The tight hub used in some CD packaging tends to lead to small cracks in the center hole of the CD. This coupled with the very poor CD quality and a fast CD Drive can lead to disks shattering.

At least you can get replacement disks for CM, try getting one from Activision and see what happens, they will never sell me another game.

I would gladly pay extra for a no-CD game to avoid having to use one, but unfortunately this is not an option.