Reverse Bug

I was idly testing a scenario and noticed that the StugIII seemed to reverse very quickly. I only having to hand reversing speeds for a Tiger but I did have a Panther G and a Panther A on the field. I was surprised to find that the A is marginally faster in reverse than the G on fast forward.

I checked the tracks and they are equally damaged. So I added the MkIII and the results show that the Stug was marginally slower in reverse than the Panther A in fast forward - 3 seconds over 100 metres. The Panther G was several more seconds slower in reverse.

I have tried it again in this field so there is stopping involved.

Going fast forward G =37 seconds for approx 100metres

III fast forwad = 26 seconds

A in reverse = 35 seconds

I would like to quote reverse speeds for the test tanks but only have to hand "Tiger Tanks" which says the Tiger I with 4 reverse gears tops out at 5.6mph and of course would need to work through all four of those gears to reach that speed. It would seem to me that there is a bug regarding reverse in the game.

Without data to hand, it's hard to say whether there's anything wrong. A number of tanks had the same gearing ratios available to them in reverse as they had in forward. Some could even go faster in reverse than forwards... they were mostly Italian though, AFAIR. It does sort of make sense that a StuG would be one of those provided with a fast reverse, given its 'ambush predator' role.

Womble I would be very surprised to find any tank that went faster backwards than forwards - excepting the Archer of course : )

As for tanks seeming a bit fast - thats an interesting question. My first port of call would be the accelaration to the speed registered. Anotherwords the speed reached my be correct it is simply being reached too quickly. However I have no data and no information on how long vehicles took to reach a reasonable speed.

Thsi si the kind of info that may be obtainable from museums with active tanks and re-enactors. I have seen tanks moving at Bovington but as the arena there is quite small I doubt that high speeds are reached by the WW2 vehicles. But believe me it seems fast enough when you are seeing them at a range of ten metres to 200 metres.

I think that they may flatter to decieve as they will not be fully equipped as they will be light normally some crew, the shells , and most of the fuel.

I suspect it is possible to measure the speed in game and extrapolate the figures if top speed is a concern. And on that basis an idea of acceleration can be obtained. However with V1.01 coming I have not the heart to get excited on testing. The reversing though is a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

With v1.01 I thought I would look at reverse again.

A Sherman 75 seems to cover 100 metres from a standing start in about 30 seconds so roughly 12000 metres an hour or 7.5 mph. This seems to be significantly in excess of the 3mph I have seen in a photo of a Sherman engine plate for reverse speed.

The Tiger I with 4 reverse gears is I think 5.6mph, and I have been told a Churchill is 2.5 mph max in reverse.

Whilst it is great fun to dart in and reverse out of positions I do wonder if the games is reflectingly accurately how easy it was to dance a tank around.

Certainly in CMAK I was very gutted to find a Grant reversing in woods seemed to be able to beat a MkIII going fast forwards in the same wood. This did make me keen to see how this matched up in a more realistic game.

With regard to the reverse speed of World War Two tanks the Panzer Tracts series of books by Thomas Jentz and Hilary Doyle offer's the best source of information on German tanks and AFVs as these books include the reverse speeds in km/h. British and American tanks are more difficult as the various manuals and handbooks tend to only provide data for the individual gear ratios rather than the actual speed so this will take some working out. Again Russian, French, Italian and Japanese information on this of subject will take a fair amount of digging around to find as you are looking for very specific information and most manuals/reports, if they have information on the transmission, will provide it in the gear ratio form.

I am Jentz light and my books are fairly bereft of [reverse] gearing details so if anyone can help ....

If I have to make assumptions where there is a single gear then I imagine it would be similar or slightly speedier than first. I think it is quite important that reverse is correct in a realistic simulation - and compared to all the other parts of the game one of the simplest I would think to code.

I think we have all been horribly spoilt by reverses speeds that are way out of whack and this is misleading in how one utilised armour.