Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

QB map selection.

I've not played huge numbers of QBs but I've noticed that the specified map type often doesn't get selected.

Curious, I tried to get a QB attack on a medium map - I left all the other configurables on random.

In five attempts I didn't get a single match up - 2 probe/large, 1 probe/med, 2 asslt/med.

There are 36 attack/med QB maps, so what gives?

I think the only 'type' of map that is mandated at game selection is 'Meeting Engagement'. It'll pick an ME map for an ME game, but will pick from any of the other map types for anything that's not an ME.

The variability in size, I don't have a guess...

I have been forming the impression, which may admittedly be going up the wrong alley, that the non-ME maps may be multi-purpose. That they might have scripts for the different types of battles written for them, and when you specify what kind of battle, the game selects that (or those) script(s) when the map is chosen.

Does that seem plausible?

Michael

Michael, I'm not sure that I can add to your 'credentials' list at this time.

You may well be right but, if the non ME maps are all multi-purpose, then why have they been classified in the way that they have? All that would be needed would be an 'non-ME map' catergory.

As I said, there are 36 attack/med maps and all battle-type/size combinations seem to have a selection of maps.

If you are right, then the parameters for choosing QB maps would seem to be largely redundant.

I've not played huge numbers of QBs but I've noticed that the specified map type often doesn't get selected.

Curious, I tried to get a QB attack on a medium map - I left all the other configurables on random.

In five attempts I didn't get a single match up - 2 probe/large, 1 probe/med, 2 asslt/med.

There are 36 attack/med QB maps, so what gives?

Asslt/Attk/Probe style maps are all the same map named for the type of battle the player wishes. So when using "Attack" Med and all else random The QB AI will try to match up the size of the map. In your test 2 out of 3 maps were named medium. The scale of what is medium (or small-large) is a sliding scale. The QB map generator is looking at actual map size. More than likely that large map was actually a close fit for med. The QB AI doesn't pay much attention to the Style of game the map is named for. That is only important when the player selects a map by hand. While a tad annoying and on my "QB sucks because list", A random generated Attack game that gives you a probe Map is just an attack/Defend Style map with another name.