Orchards

Something appropiate for elaborate defense positions in fairly open terrain. Combined with AP mine fields and mixed in CMN barb wire, it would do the purpose failry well I think.

2 rows of "X" pattern wire fence:

cmnwire.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

..or maybe an idea for CM: The great war :D

cmngreatwar.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's cool man! Hadn't seen that before!

That odd (double X) fence construction is not much of an obstacle to infantry moving across. Figured, infantry roughly take 1 more minute to cross (quick mode), than infantry on plain grass, but yet more, as single soldiers bump into each other, pause and then resume crossing.

From testing ground tiles & infantry movement speeds, I found heavy forest and mud slow the most. Grass, dirt & rocky/hard are evenly fast. Edit:

From fastest to slowest (Ground condition dry): Road, grass, dirt, rocky, hard - plowed field, mud (-20%) - heavy forest (-60%) - marsh (-70%). Did not test all and figures are approximated.

For use as "wire entanglement", I´d probably try combining some with mud/heavy forest, but that adds maybe just half a minute of extra delay. End of brain fart. :D

That odd (double X) fence construction is not much of an obstacle to infantry moving across. Figured, infantry roughly take 1 more minute to cross (quick mode), than infantry on plain grass, but yet more, as single soldiers bump into each other, pause and then resume crossing.

From testing ground tiles & infantry movement speeds, I found heavy forest and mud slow the most. Grass, dirt & rocky/hard are evenly fast. Edit:

From fastest to slowest (Ground condition dry): Road, grass, dirt, rocky, hard - plowed field, mud (-20%) - heavy forest (-60%) - marsh (-70%). Did not test all and figures are approximated.

For use as "wire entanglement", I´d probably try combining some with mud/heavy forest, but that adds maybe just half a minute of extra delay. End of brain fart. :D

Would it be possible to use the "double x" fence construction and put one or more lines of real military wire somewhere within it? That would give it the same effect as military wire, but would look like the more elaborate and wider crisscross obstacle shown in your screenshot.

Would the mud tile base also increase the risk of vehicles bogging? That would be cool because it would complicate tactic of using a tank to flatten the wire.

Would it be possible to use the "double x" fence construction and put one or more lines of real military wire somewhere within it? That would give it the same effect as military wire, but would look like the more elaborate and wider crisscross obstacle shown in your screenshot.

Would the mud tile base also increase the risk of vehicles bogging? That would be cool because it would complicate tactic of using a tank to flatten the wire.

Doesn´t work, even with the old CMX1 trick applied. Once the game ist started, it resets the barb wire to clear (no violating 3D terrain elements in there) map places. You just could alternate barb wire with wire fence in neighboring spots, but not within the same spot.

No idea with mud and vehicle bogging. Did not test yet, but I would assume...beside soft ground condition setting.

I´d like to have transparent, individual "mud" layer tiles, that also apply to FOW rules. Thus one can also make true "terrain reconnaissance". Something similar to running into mine fields unexpectedly. ...just another brain fart. :D

I keep forgetting that I am one of the few that am not even thinking of the "Normandy" part. ;) My interest stopped at the dune line and didn't pick up until after the breakout...

I am somewhat sympathetic to that, as my main interest is in Patton's rampage well south of the bocage country that culminated at Argentan. I hope to be seeing more battles/campaigns on that topic.

Michael