Weapon transfer?

I have a Hmg team running, the gunner gets shot and drops dead. While he's still falling to the ground, the MG sports magically in the hands of another soldier, who is some 15 m. ahead and hasn't stop running.

No buddy aid involved, just some fancy magic trick, maybe?

1 player, turn based, warrior level. no save game but recorded the sequence in a small video in case someone wants/needs to check.

Is this a bug, a feature, or plain just luck?

This is more than likely a feature. When you as the player lose the HMG gunner and drop the HMG to the ground, you can stop your little pixeltruppen and do some buddy aid to pick up the weapon. The AI isn't so smart. Therefore if the gunner gets hit in an AI controlled heavy weapons team then the heavy weapons team would lose it's heavy weapon for the duration. This would make the team much too fragile for the AI since the team would lose it's reason for existance with the incapacitation of one man. So instead of having AI heavy weapons teams running about with no heavy weapons whenever the gunner gets hit, it seems reasonable to just have the heavy weapon get reassigned to the next gunner automatically.

I would like the same feature (or maybe different one, the one with ammo sharing) to work when one of my panzershrecks teams is out of ammo, and the survivor ammo bearer of other panzershreck team has still 3 HEAT grenades left. I moved both teams to the same square, waited few minutes for the lone panzershreck loader to give his remaining grenades to the empty panzershreck team, but nothing like that happened ;) he wouldn't give ;).