Issue regarding 1.31 update

Ok so on another machine I have CMSf-Marines-BAF patched to 1.21 and working fine.

So I decide to patch it to 1.31 so I can play LAN with my other machines (the win7 from the other thread, already successfully patched to 1.31)

I run the 1.31 patch (selecting the appropriate modules) afterward I try to start CMSF ... and nothing happens, game fails to start. I had previously already gone through the DEP rigamarole to get it to work so it is already configured. I have virus or security software on his machine.

Do I have any recourse here or uninstall and reinstall?

Los

Try reinstalling the 1.31 patch (with the correct selections). Before applying it I would suggest temporarily disabling your security software just in case it is interfering in some manner. Make sure during the install that the 1.31 patch is being installed into your actual directory that you have CMSF and the modules installed in. It should usually be able to detect this properly, but you may want to double-check it in case.

No luck, w patch reinstall. in fact I cant even unlicense CMSF so I cannot reinstall w/o screwing myself. I have no security software and windows firewall is disabled.

All this was working perfectly fine until I installed 1.31 update. In each case I ahve carefully selected the correct components to install.

If you license CMSF and then install a module and license that, then UNLICENSING CMSF becomes problematic. You can't unlicense the module and then unlicense the CMSF base game. The executable file is now different and the unlicensing mechanism recognizes this and will not perform an unlicensing. What you would have to do in order to unlicensing the base game is reapply one of the patches, except this time ONLY patch the base game and NO modules (after unlicensing all of the modules FIRST). This should install a version of the base game that MAY allow you to unlicense the base game.

If you have any of the modules, then you shouldn't need to license the base game (with one exception). If you own a Battlefront base game and any modules, then you do NOT need to license the base game. The one exception to this is if you own the Paradox Interactive version of CMSF and you only have the NATO module (and no other modules), then you MAY need to have the base game licensed with the 1.21 patch FIRST (because the NATO module requires 1.21). So at the very least the 1.21 patch files would have to be installed and they may or may not need to be licensed.

Here's a Knowledgebase article that outlines the reinstallation process for CMSF and its modules. If may not be really necessary to unlicense CMSF unless you intend to make some hardware changes or move it to another computer.