Friendly Fire?

Is friendly fire now in? I seem to faintly recall reading it was not...

Friendly fire still isn't.

Anything fatter than .30cal or thereabouts will cause friendly casualties. HE of any calibre, grenades (except the hand grenades of the potentially injured unit) or solid of .50cal or bigger will cause friendly casualties and suppression.

Friendly rifle and SMG calibre fire will not cause casualties, but it will cause suppression if the rounds are landing near a friendly unit. If the rounds are passing over or through the unit, no suppression occurs but if, say, you have a team up against a bocage line on an action point that is the target for some other infantry's rifles, the team taking the friendly fire will sustain suppression. Friendly suppression-caused morale effects (I've not seen a unit go to 'Shaken', I don't think, but 'Rattled' is easy to get if you forget to cancel some area fires...) seem to fade more quickly than enemy-fire caused ones. Suppression also extends, to a lesser extent, to neighbouring APs to the point of impact of the bullets.

Ah, thanks for the info. Must've been something else that killed them then. I thought it was odd, because the timing was perfect with when the HQ unit to the right fired.

Are you using any sound mods, cos I sure wish my HQs sounded as if they're firing something that big and scary! :) I think (based on the vid) that it wasn't the HQ firing, but something missing the HQ and the overshoots hitting your boys by the tree.

Or it was ricochets off the tree. Ricochets are also unfriendly.

And, just to be clear, when I said "friendly fire still isn't" I was meaning in the "Murphy's Laws of Combat" sense. Not that its effects aren't included. Hopefully the rest of my post was clear enough.

I had a squad behind a wall with nothing much in front of them and a half-track went past (behind them) and sprayed them with what was probably 0.30 cal and caused casualties. Definite friendly fire. Re-played it several times. No doubt about it. I was impressed in a furious kind of way.

I'm pretty sure I've chopped up my own squads when using 7.62mm HT-mount MG's to suppress a hedgerow - I used the "Target" command. Nowadays I'm very careful not to run my PBI through fire lines, even using the "Target Light" command.

Yeah I should probably test it, but I've come to the conclusion that I actually quite like not knowing exactly how the engine works. Plus I can't be bothered. :-)

I had a squad behind a wall with nothing much in front of them and a half-track went past (behind them) and sprayed them with what was probably 0.30 cal and caused casualties. Definite friendly fire. Re-played it several times. No doubt about it. I was impressed in a furious kind of way.

Ricochets, probably. Get a bunch of them off walls. Or it was a .50cal-armed HT... :)

Im sure I've seen friendly fire casualties caused by .30cal, only when such rounds were bursting on trees though

I think splinters and other environmentals don't discriminate between friend and foe, either.

I'm pretty sure I've chopped up my own squads when using 7.62mm HT-mount MG's to suppress a hedgerow - I used the "Target" command. Nowadays I'm very careful not to run my PBI through fire lines, even using the "Target Light" command.

Yeah I should probably test it, but I've come to the conclusion that I actually quite like not knowing exactly how the engine works. Plus I can't be bothered. :-)

I have only tested with American weapons, but I'm 100% convinced that their 'rifle calibre' rounds will never directly cause friendly casualties. Hedgerows do have trees in 'em though, so splinters from rounds impacting trees, or ricochets if there's any 'hard stuff' mixed in the terrain.

Still, avoiding being in friendly fire lanes is beneficial, so suspecting friendly casualties is a good incentive to have to stay out of them :)