Editor Reinforcement Groups Broken?

Page 132 of the manual under Reinforcements states "Up to seven groups of units...". In following statements it reinforces (no pun intended) the idea that there can be more than one unit in a reinforcement group. But I can not get it to work. Once I highlight a unit and press the corresponding reinforcement group button I can not add any other units to that group. Further, when I highlight a unit in a reinforcement group and press 8 it does not remove the reinforcement designation. I should also mention that it is not the Available Units column as stated in the manual but the Activated Troops column where I can add the reinforcement group designation. Since this makes the reinforcement group procedure next to useless for my purposes I am hoping I am doing something wrong. Anyone know what that could be??

For some reason you can't change the assignment of reinforcement groups while the "Reinforcements" tab is open. Switch back to the "Purchase" (or whatever it's called, the one where you choose the units) screen and try again; it should work. :)

Eh, I've only been making scenarios in CMx2 for three years, I've only made 6 campaigns, there's no reason I should know what that screen is called. :D

That is a non-intuitive part of the UI. When you select reinforcements, select a unit and press e.g. '1' then it assigns that unit to reinforcement group 1. But... then if you press any keys after that, you are actually typing in the description that goes along with that reinforcement group (see the blue box in the bottom left beneath the list of reinforcement groups).

To set more than one unit to a group, switch back to the 'purchase units' mode, and then you can highlight units and keys 1-8 work to assign / clear reinforcement groups as you'd expect.