TD's vs tanks in a meeting engagement

I'm about to start a 2560 point game in lots of bocage/fields and a small village in the distance as the Germans.

In selecting my troops, I was not sure about the armour. Seeing as we need to move, should I select tanks or tank destroyers (or some combination of both)?

So far I haven't done well with tanks, and am open to suggestions.

If you expect to be meeting mainly tanks, maybe TDs would be a good bet, although if you can afford to buy Panthers, they are good anti-tank vehicles too. If you expect to be mainly meeting infantry, tanks are the better buy, and Pz. IVs will do as you can get more of them.

Michael

I suspect if you're struggling with tanks, TDs won't be noticeably easier. Depends what your stumbling block with tanks is. If you get flanked and killed, TDs will be even worse; if you are constantly getting ambushed by infantry AT, ditto. Panthers are a mean machine, good survivability and good stopping power, but their price tag reflects that. Would going TD-heavy allow you significantly more assets?

You did not specify if you were going to play offensive or defensive side. That should theoretically matter, since the panzerjagers and StuGs were most commonly seen in defensive situations and the tanks were commonly involved in the offensives or counter-attack situations. Not always, of course (lots of exceptions!), but simply as a general rule of thumb.

You did not specify if you were going to play offensive or defensive side. That should theoretically matter, since the panzerjagers and StuGs were most commonly seen in defensive situations and the tanks were commonly involved in the offensives or counter-attack situations. Not always, of course (lots of exceptions!), but simply as a general rule of thumb.

I thought a 'meeting engagement' was a 50/50 show.