Possible "no line of sight" or "smoke" bug

I am trying to target "smoke". I get a "no line of sight" indication. I switch to "area fire" and I can target OK. I can also target "lite". Any body else have this problem. This may be an isolated incidence as the other tanks in the scenario are able to target smoke and regular area fire, but I have noticed a reluctance to fire smoke in other instances. Save file available if needed.

Does the vehichle have smoke onboard?, did you issue a Face command?

This is from the Manual Pg. 86.

TARGET SMOKE

Besides simple vision-blocking smoke only, CM:BN also features White Phosphorus

smoke grenades, which can cause damage and burns to soldiers

exposed to it (within very close proximity to an exploding shell).

Infantry - not applicable. Uses Pop Smoke instead.

Vehicles - The unit will fire smoke shells at the designated target or location.

Restrictions - Units need to be capable of firing smoke shells, and ammunition

needs to be available.

Example - a major threat appears in front of your tank. The tank commander

orders smoke to be fired in front of the enemy to blind it, gaining valuable

time for a retreat.

Up date. Upon further testing I found that the tank that I at first thought could not target smoke actually could. Here is what happened, I targeted area fire with no problem and then changed my mind and tried to target smoke, actually WP, and found that I got no line of sight to the same point that I had just targeted area fire with HE. It appears that the line of sight isn't always the same for target smoke as it is for target or target lite. Usually it is but in this instance it wasn't. A bug? If it is it's a minor one and shouldn't cause a problem very often. In fact it won't even be apparent unless you change your mind like I did and it just happens to be one of those times that "target" and "smoke" line of sight are not the same. Murphys Law at work.

Did you actually fire the HE?

The reason I ask is I have this happen to me all the time when trying to switch from full-on "Target" to "Target Light" . The smoke and dust from the explosions obscure the target area. It is a bit aggravating, not realistic (after all I am telling one weapons system out of three to stop firing not changing the aim point) but not in the end a big deal and one which would probably be hard to fix.

I wonder if the Target Smoke command may not be aiming for the ground immediately in front of the target, rather than the target itself.

I tried aiming with "smoke" to the same area that I was able to aim with "target". I also tried panning all around the "target" aim point with the "smoke" cursor but got "no line of sight".

I tried aiming with "smoke" to the same area that I was able to aim with "target". I also tried panning all around the "target" aim point with the "smoke" cursor but got "no line of sight".

Yes I understand - what I was referring to is that it seems - to me at least - that while we may aim the smoke round at the enemy directly, the actual aim point the game uses once the round is ready to go, is on the ground close in front of the target, not on the target itself. So we may be aiming the round at a tank but the round may always land just in front of it instead.

I have to admit I've not used the smoke rounds that often so my impression may be off.