multi-way point "convergence"

I'm having frustration trying to use waypoints with multiple vehicles. Once I have a platoon of tanks together (4-5 or so) I try issuing a multi-move. My thinking is that the waypoint end point should correspond to the position of the tanks prior to orders.

However, the tanks seem to want to converge and interfere with each other's movements.

Any way around this?

If they are moving in column, I usually space them out by having the second and subsequent ones start after a delay...5 seconds for each subsequent one...so the 5th tank in column would have a 20 sec. delay, for instance.

If in column, I also do not have their end points all in the same line...I offset them a bit so I can see where each is going to stop.

If they are in tactical formation and you are trying to move all together, make sure that the one that is in the center is the first one you select...that helps me envision where they will end up.

If the formation has to go around obstacles or has a bunch of vectors on the way to the end point, the AI is less successful in giving coherent group movement orders and you will see this bunching up and wackiness.

In general, I only move formations like this in straight lines or at a slight diagonal, with no or minimal legs to the movement and preferably where there are no obstacles on the way like trees or buildings. If there is a choke point, expect chaos.

I think the problem arises if they're to close to start with, so all but the first vehicle instantly goes into 'after you' mode, rather than them all starting off in unison, making subsequent behaviour a bit unpredictable. The staggered delay approach works well, and thereafter maintaining larger intervals than are mandated by the need to stop columns of new arrivals stretching half way to the enemy :) will help stop the hunting around and traffic chaos.