Burning walls

Swift

The text file about TCP/IP play says "In order to play a network game, Combat Mission requires that TCP port 7023 be open". Now my question: Is there any way to check this without asking the IPS (they are on leave over Christmas...) and if it is closed is there any way to play anyway (by joining a game instead of hosting?)?

Swift, you should only need to forward port 7023 if you are behind a firewall (Software or hardware) and it's not something you ISP handles.

You should be able to play games if you are using dial up or if you only have one computer connect to a DSL/Cable line. (I.e. no router)

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Swift, you should only need to forward port 7023 if you are behind a firewall (Software or hardware) and it's not something you ISP handles.

You should be able to play games if you are using dial up or if you only have one computer connect to a DSL/Cable line. (I.e. no router)

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

I am behind a firewall that my ISP have put up. I am connected on a LAN to my university and they have restricted almost all ports (at least all incomming connections).. I have a local IP number 10.xx.xx.xx and all students share the same external IP number (a proxy). I can use filesharing software but only in passive mode. Is there any chance that i can play CM on the internet?

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you'll be able to hook up to someone outside of your university's network. IP Port 7023 needs to be open for TCP/UDP packets. This is the port that CM listens to for data. If your university is blocking this, then a TCP/IP game will be impossible with the university acting as your IP.

You may want to contact your university's computing service department and see what their policy is on opening IP ports (if there is one). Your IP address will also appear different to someone outside of your university's network (most likely it would be the proxy/NAT server's address).

However it should be possible for someone on your university's network to play you (the usually wouldn't be blocked within the network).