Friendly Fire

If you are attacking a position but have an overwatch group suppressing it, can you have deaths due to friendly fire? IOW, are your units sure to miss friendlies that are close to the position or do you really need to stop everyone firing on that spot?

How does it work then when you issue an Assault command to a squad when they themselves split into teams and some seem to fire as the others approach the objective.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

From my previous experiences with Shock Force:

Area Fire with large weapons can cause friendly fire when close; not for small calibers.

In some missions at night with snipers, i seen sporadic blue on blue fire from the AI.

Not sure about CM:Normandy.

Sorry for my english.

I think anything bigger than .50 cal or a hand grenade can cause friendly fire (think shrapnel from .50 rounds might be dangerous.

Nearby small arms hits and such will still suppress friendly troops (but not rounds that pass overhead I think). So while small arms aren't dangerous, your troops don't like close calls (i.e. entering a building your suppressing or rounds smacking into the trees by them as you try to fire over their heads). So generally you still want to be careful.

Also beware of shrapnel from large explosions, it can travel pretty far and a few unlucky guys might collect some fragments. Furthest I've seen was in CMSF, at about 150m from a 155m shell hitting. No enemy fire as far as I could tell and one guy just dropped wounded when it hit.