white-outs

i have a radeon 7500, 384 megs of ram, 900 mhz Intel, windows xp prof., catalyst 3.7, version 1.3 of CMBB.

the problem is that sometimes while playing, certain parts of the menu bar will white out. this includes loading screens, weather information, and especially the tank armor rating screen. sometimes they do not white out per se, but you cannot see the information that you need to, like weather info or tank armor info; instead, a gray graphic will overlay the necessary text. also, on a possibly unrelated issue, sometimes the bases of units will disappear under the texture of the terrain. i would guess that they were related, but the menu bar has priority in this case.

sorry if this has been brought up but i could not find any help files on this or anything.

Actually you posted to another thread awhile back about a similar (if not the same) problem.

The solution back then was to go to an earlier version of the Catalyst drivers. Catalyst 2.3 worked for one user. From what I can tell most of the 3.x Catalyst series seem to have this problem. I don't know when ATI will fix this problem since it doesn't seem to be too big of an issue for them. CM is a 16-bit color game, and ATI's driver development doesn't seem too concerned with this color depth anymore (and the fact that CM isn't a 'million seller').

At this point I'm not aware of any tweak, setting or 3rd Party driver that can fix this problem (though there may be one). Going back to an earlier Catalyst may be the only solution for this until ATI decides to address this problem in a future Catalyst release. Admittedly this may not work for all Radeon users since the pre-3.x Catalyst probably won't recognize the latest Radeons.

For me (generic Radeon 9500 Pro), using the earlier Catalyst drivers (2,3) does fix the problem (can't remember if I had AA on or off though), as does using the latest Catalyst drivers (3.7) with the AA turned off. I prefer the latest drivers and turn AA off for CMBB.