Some Basic PBEM Questions

Hello:

I remember how much I enjoyed PBEM in other games so I am thinking about giving it a go. But unsure about the dos and don'ts when it comes to CMBN and PBEM.

1. How do people decide on a scenario? IOW, does it have to be one neither have played before? That doesn't seem practical as there are only so many scenarios. But then, one would have an advantage by knowing at least one of the OBs.

2. How many turns is considered a good rate? In ASL, I hated getting 3-4 turns a week. My best opponent had at least one log per day so the scenario stayed interesting. So I would be hoping to find someone who could do a turn a day at least.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

My personal preferences:

I like to play a scenario not more then once - the surprise and uncertainty is part of the fun. For email purposes it is not perse necessairy that both players play the scenario for the first time though. It depends on the scenario, some are depending on surprises or puzzles, other have multiple options. I think you should mention if you played it before during the choosing of the scenario.

For turns I consider one turn/day minimum, with breaks for weekends or holidays. You should mention those in advance (more or less), and mention them again when you are sending your last turn for a few days. Slower can be ok for really large scenario's, but you run the risk of loosing continuity and forgetting plans, or plain loosing interest in the game.