AT gun 'bail out'

Ok, so Ive got a PaK40 pointing at the end of this bridge. The enemy (AI) is coming from the North East, my gun is on the South Western side of the map pointing East at the bridge they will be crossing. It has a barn on its immediate North Flank about 10m away at the most so cannot be seen by the enemy as the approach their side of the bridge. My dastardly plan is perfect, nothing can go wrong.

But wait! Whats this? a sneaky pre-planned random mortar strike (I wasn't expecting that! :rolleyes: ) The first round lands a bit too close for comfort - everyone is ok, but I don't want to get them killed for the Fatherland quite just yet. Scanning the tabs for the appropriate command I spot that 'Bail out' is the only seemingly applicable one and bark my orders at them to do just that, and head into the safety of that old sturdy barn. Once they get in I realise perhaps my mad dash for cover wasn't as urgently needed as the rest of the mortars land miles away towards the North, nowhere near my men or gun emplacement. "Auf Gehts!" I trump to my crew who approach the gun and - lie down around it! A quick inspection seems to indicate that the gun is no longer usable and the bridge open for business for the Americans! My plan wrecked by a few close fireworks *sigh*

A quick editor test to repeat the process (minus the mortar attack) and it seems when crews bail out of a gun the gun magically stops working! What's going on? Is this a bug?

I know gun crews may sabotage their gun when they abandon it but shouldn't their be an option to leave it and nip away for a while? Like be able to use the 'dismount' button for guns?

OPINIONS!

Ok, so Ive got a PaK40 pointing at the end of this bridge. The enemy (AI) is coming from the North East, my gun is on the South Western side of the map pointing East at the bridge they will be crossing. It has a barn on its immediate North Flank about 10m away at the most so cannot be seen by the enemy as the approach their side of the bridge. My dastardly plan is perfect, nothing can go wrong.

But wait! Whats this? a sneaky pre-planned random mortar strike (I wasn't expecting that! :rolleyes: ) The first round lands a bit too close for comfort - everyone is ok, but I don't want to get them killed for the Fatherland quite just yet. Scanning the tabs for the appropriate command I spot that 'Bail out' is the only seemingly applicable one and bark my orders at them to do just that, and head into the safety of that old sturdy barn. Once they get in I realise perhaps my mad dash for cover wasn't as urgently needed as the rest of the mortars land miles away towards the North, nowhere near my men or gun emplacement. "Auf Gehts!" I trump to my crew who approach the gun and - lie down around it! A quick inspection seems to indicate that the gun is no longer usable and the bridge open for business for the Americans! My plan wrecked by a few close fireworks *sigh*

A quick editor test to repeat the process (minus the mortar attack) and it seems when crews bail out of a gun the gun magically stops working! What's going on? Is this a bug?

I know gun crews may sabotage their gun when they abandon it but shouldn't their be an option to leave it and nip away for a while? Like be able to use the 'dismount' button for guns?

OPINIONS!

So, how is a gun crew to know that they may only be nipping away from the gun for a short period of time. Seems to me that you are trained to stick with your gun. If you are forced to leave the gun (truly leave it, not just take cover) then you would have to assume that you are not coming back.

It is specified in the manual that gun crews can't take the gun back if they bail out.

I must have missed it :confused:... I did look but some how didn't see it.

"Should work like a vehicle crew returning to a vehicle"

That's what I was thinking, seems a bit odd to have it for vehicles and not for the guns.

"So, how is a gun crew to know that they may only be nipping away from the gun for a short period of time. Seems to me that you are trained to stick with your gun. If you are forced to leave the gun (truly leave it, not just take cover) then you would have to assume that you are not coming back."

I guess but the game doesn't allow for the event that the gun may come under attack and the crew need to take cover like in my example. Why don't they have a dismount order?